Photosynthesis and the induction of nitrate reductase and nitrite reductase in bean leaves
- 37 Downloads
In laaves of Phaseolus vulgaris L. cv. Prelude, the light-induced increase in activity of NADH-nitrate oxidoreductase (E.C.184.108.40.206; NAR) and reduced benzylviologennitrite oxidoreductase (E.C.220.127.116.11; NIR) starts at a certain stage in the development of the chloroplasts. In leaves with completely developed chloroplasts, a higher increase in activity of NAR and NIR is observed, after induction by the addition of nitrate, in the light than in the dark. DCMU inhibits the increase in activity of the two enzymes in the light. Both in the light in the presence of DCMU, and in the dark the increase in activity reaches a higher level by the addition of sucrose.
Induction of NAR, but not of NIR, can be observed in excised etiolated leaves. No induction is found in leaves of intact etiolated seedlings.
The relation between photosynthetic reactions and the increase in activity of NAR and NIR is discussed. It is suggested that NADH, indirectly formed by photosynthesis, protects NAR and affects in this way the balance between synthesis and breakdown of the enzyme. The increase in activity of NIR is possibly influenced by the presence of reduced ferredoxin.
KeywordsEnzyme Nitrate Sucrose Nitrite Photosynthesis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beevers, L., Hageman, R. H.: Nitrate reduction in higher plants. Ann. Rev. Plant Physiol. 20, 495–522 (1969)Google Scholar
- Bishop, D. G., Andersen, K. S., Smillie, R. M.: Incomplete membrane-bound photosynthetic electron transfer pathway in agranal chloroplasts. Biochem. biophys. Res. Commun. 42, 74–81 (1971)Google Scholar
- Bourne, W. F., Miflin, B. J.: Studies on nitrite reductase in barley. Planta (Berl.) 111, 47–56 (1973)Google Scholar
- Boutard, J.: Effets de la lumiére et de l'alimentation en nitrate sur les variations de l'activité nitrate réductase de plantules d'Orge. Physiol. vég. 4, 105–123 (1966)Google Scholar
- Chroboczek-Kelker, H., Filner, P.: Regulation of nitrite reductase and its relationship to the regulation of nitrate reductase in cultured tobacco cells. Biochim. biophys. Acta (Amst.) 252, 69–82 (1971)Google Scholar
- Filner, P.: Regulation of nitrate reductase in cultured tobacco cells. Biochim. biophys. Acta (Amst.) 118, 299–310 (1966)Google Scholar
- Gandhi, A. P., Sawhney, S. K., Naik, M. S.: Activation of nitrate reductase from rice seedlings by NADH. Biochem. biophys. Res. Commun. 55, 291–296 (1973)Google Scholar
- Gregory, P., Bradbeer, J. W.: Plastid development in primary leaves of Phaseolus vulgaris: The light-induced development of the chloroplast cytochromes. Planta (Berl.) 109, 317–326 (1973)Google Scholar
- Gyldenholm, A. O., Whatley, F. R.: The onset of photophosphorylation in chloroplasts isolated from developing bean leaves. New Phytol. 67, 461–468 (1968)Google Scholar
- Joy, K. W., Hageman, R. H.: The purification and properties of nitrite reductase from higher plants, and its dependence on ferredoxin. Biochem. J. 100, 263–273 (1966)Google Scholar
- Kannangara, C. G., Woolhouse, H. W.: The role of carbon dioxide, light and nitrate in the synthesis and degradation of nitrate reductase in leaves of Perilla frutescens. New Phytologist 66, 553–561 (1967)Google Scholar
- Klepper, L., Flesher, D., Hageman, R. H.: Generation of reduced nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide for nitrate reduction in green leaves. Plant Physiol. 48, 580–590 (1971)Google Scholar
- Losada, M., Paneque, A., Ramirez, J. M., del Campo, F. F.: Mechanism of nitrite reduction in chloroplasts. Biochem. biophys. Res. Commun. 10, 298–303 (1963)Google Scholar
- Melandri, B. A., Baccarini, A., Forti, G.: Selective inhibition by actinomycin D of the synthesis of photosynthetic and non-photosynthetic enzymes during the greening of etiolated bean leaves. Plant Physiol. 44, 95–100 (1969)Google Scholar
- Mellor, G. E., Tregunna, E. B.: The localization of nitrate-assimilating enzymes in leaves of plants with the C4-pathway of photosynthesis. Canad. J. Bot. 49, 137–142 (1971)Google Scholar
- Oaks, A., Wallace, W., Stevens, D.: Synthesis and turnover of nitrate reductase in corn leaves. Plant Physiol. 50, 649–654 (1972)Google Scholar
- Ramirez, J. M., del Campo, F. F., Paneque, A., Losada, M.: Ferredoxin-nitrite reductase from spinach. Biochim. biophys. Acta (Amst.) 118, 58–71 (1966)Google Scholar
- Sawhney, S. K., Naik, M. S.: Role of light in the synthesis of nitrate reductase and nitrite reductase in rice seedlings. Biochem. J. 130, 475–485 (1972)Google Scholar
- Sluiters-Scholten, C. M. Th.: Effect of chloramphenicol and cycloheximide on the induction of nitrate reductase and nitrite reductase in bean leaves. Planta (Berl.) 113, 229–240 (1973)Google Scholar
- Sluiters-Scholten, C. M. Th., Berg, F. M., van den, Stegwee, D.: Aminolaevulinate dehydratase in greening leaves of Phaseolus vulgaris L. Z. Pflanzenphysiol. 69, 217–227 (1973)Google Scholar
- Stewart, G. R.: Regulation of nitrite reductase level in Lemna minor. J. exp. Bot. 23, 171–183 (1972)Google Scholar
- Travis, R. L., Huffaker, R. C., Key, J. L.: Light-induced development of polyribosomes and the induction of nitrate reductase in corn leaves. Plant Physiol. 46, 800–805 (1970)Google Scholar
- Travis, R. L., Jordan, W. R., Huffaker, R. C.: Evidence for an inactivating system of nitrate reductase in Hordeum vulgare L. during darkness that requires protein synthesis. Plant Physiol. 44, 1150–1156 (1969)Google Scholar