cis-dominant, glutamine synthetase constitutive mutations of Escherichia coli indepedent of activation by the glnG and glnF products
- 33 Downloads
Mutants resistant to 80 μM L-methionine-DL-sulfoximine (MS) were isolated on glucose-minimal 15 mM NH + 4 medium plates from Escherichia coli cells which were hypersensitive to this concentration of the analogue by virtue of their harboring glnG mutations. MS-resistant mutants derived from strain MX902 carried, in addition to its glnG74::Tn5 allele, mutations tightly linked to glnA, as shown by P1-mediated transduction experiments. One particular allele, gln-76, which suppressed the MS-sensitivity conferred by glnG74::Tn5 but not its Ntr− phenotype (inability to transport and utilize compounds such as arginine or proline as the only nitrogen sources), was shown to allow constitutive expression of glutamine synthetase in the absence not only of a functional glnG product but also of a functional glnF product. This behavior was found to be cis-dominant in complementation experiments with F'14 merogenotes. In an otherwise wild-type genetic background as in MX929 (gln-76 glnA+ glnL+ glnG+ glnF+), however, normal activation, mediated by the glnG and glnF products was preferred over that mediated by gln-76.
KeywordsNitrogen Escherichia Coli Proline Arginine Glutamine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ausubel FM, Margolskee RF, Maizels N (1976) Mutants of Klebsiella pneumoniae in which expression of nitrogenase is independent of glutamine synthetase control. In: Newton W, Postgate JR, Rodriguez-Barrueco C (eds) Recent developments in nitrogen fixation. Academic Press, LOndon, pp 347–356Google Scholar
- Ausubel FM, Reidel G, Cannon F, Peskin A, Margolskee R (1977) Cloning nitrogen fixation genes from Klebsiella pneumoniae in vitro and the isolation of nif promoter mutants affecting glutamine synthetase regulation. In: Hollaender A (ed) Genetic engineering for nitrogen fixation. Plenum Press, New York, pp 111–128Google Scholar
- Bachmann BJ, Low KB (1980) Linkage map of Escherichia coli K-12, edition 6. Microbiol Revs 44:1–56Google Scholar
- Bastarrachea F, Brom S, Covarrubias AA, Osorio A, Bolivar F (1980) Genetic characterization of mutations affecting glutamine biosynthesis and its regulation in Escherichia coli K12. In: Mora J, Palacios R (eds) Glutamine: Metabolsim, enzymology and regulation. Academic Press, New York, pp 107–121Google Scholar
- Marmur J (1961) A procedure for the isolation of deoxyribonucleic acid from micro-organisms. J Mol Biol 3:208–218Google Scholar
- Miller J (1972) Experiments in molecular genetics. 2nd ed. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, New YorkGoogle Scholar