Nucleotide sequence of a spectinomycin adenyltransferase AAD(9) determinant from Staphylococcus aureus and its relationship to AAD(3″) (9)
- 301 Downloads
The nucleotide sequence of the spc determinant of the Staphylococcus aureus transposon Tn554 has been determined. This gene encodes a spectinomycin adenyltransferase, AAD(9), that mediates resistance to spectinomycin but not to streptomycin. The sequence predicts a 260 amino acid protein of molecular weight 28,943. A spectinomycin-sensitive mutant (spc-1) contains a G→A transition resulting in substitution of threonine (ACA) for alanine (GCA) at residue 165. The predicted amino acid sequence is 36% homologous to that of a widely distributed, gramnegative streptomycin/spectinomycin adenyltransferase, AAD(3″) (9), specified by the aadA determinant (Holingshead and Vapnek 1985).
KeywordsSpectinomycin Protected Fragment Ribosome Binding Site Sequence LysTyr Benzyloxymethyl
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Courvalin P, Carlier C, Collatz E (1981) Evolutionary relationships between plasmid-mediated aminoglycoside-modifying enzymes from gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. In: Gialdroni-Grassi G, Sabatti L (eds) New trends in antibiotics: Research and therapy. Elsevier/North Holland Biomedical Press, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- Drassar FA (1978) Detection of aminoglycoside degrading enzymes. In: Reeves DS, Phillips I, Williams JD, Wise R (eds) Laboratory methods in antimicrobial chemotherapy. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, pp 70–75Google Scholar
- Kawabe H, Tanaka T, Mitshuhashi S (1978) Streptomycin and spectinomycin resistance mediated by plasmids. Antimicrobial Agents Chemother 13:1031–1035Google Scholar
- Messing J (1983) New M13 vectors for cloning. Methods Enzymol 101:10–89Google Scholar
- Suzuki I, Takahashi N, Shirato S, Kawabe H, Mitsuhashi S (1975) Adenylylation of streptomycin by Staphylococcus aureus: A new streptomycin adenylyltransferase. In: Mitsuhashi S, Hashimoto H (eds) Microbial Drug Resistance. University of Tokyo Press, pp 463–474Google Scholar
- Yagasawa M, Davies J (1979) Possible homology between genes for two aminoglycoside nucleotidyltransferases, AAD(3″) and ANT(2″): An evolutionary relationship? J Antibiot (Tokyo) 32:250–253Google Scholar