Blow-up at the boundary for degenerate semilinear parabolic equations
This paper treats a superlinear parabolic equation, degenerate in the time derivative. It is shown that the solution may blow up in finite time. Moreover, it is proved that for a large class of initial data, blow-up occurs at the boundary of the domain when the nonlinearity is no worse than quadratic. Various estimates are obtained which determine the asymptotic behaviour near the blow-up. The mathematical analysis is then extended to equations with other degeneracies.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abramowitz, M., & A. Stegun (1965) “Handbook of mathematical functions”, Dover Publications, New York.Google Scholar
- Floater, M. S., (1988) “Blow-up of solutions to nonlinear parabolic equations and systems”, D. Phil. thesis, Univ. of Oxford.Google Scholar
- Friedman, A. (1964) “Partial differential equations of parabolic type”, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey.Google Scholar
- Friedman, A., & J. B. McLeod (1985) “Blow-up of positive solutions of semilinear heat equations”, Indiana Univ. Math. J. 34, 425–447.Google Scholar
- Kaplan, S. (1963) “On the growth of solutions of quasilinear parabolic equations”, Comm. Pure Appl. Math. 16, 305–330.Google Scholar
- Lacey, A. A. (1984) “The form of blow-up for nonlinear parabolic equations”, Proc. Roy. Soc. Edin. 98, 183–202.Google Scholar
- Ladyzenskaya, O. A., V. A., Solonnikov & N. N. Ural'ceva (1968) “Linear and quasilinear equations of parabolic type”, Amer. Math. Soc. Translations of Mathematical Monographs, Providence.Google Scholar
- Mueller, C. E., & F. B. Weissler (1985) “Single point blow-up for a general semilinear heat equation”, Indiana Univ. Math. J. 34, 881–913.Google Scholar
- Ockendon, H. (1979) “Channel flow with temperature-dependent viscosity and internal viscous dissipation”, J. Fluid Mech. 93, 737–746.Google Scholar
- Sattinger, D. H. (1972) “Monotone methods in nonlinear elliptic and parabolic boundary value problems”, Indiana Univ. Math. J. 21, 979–1000.Google Scholar
- Stuart, A., & M. S. Floater (1990) “On the computation of blow-up”, Euro. J. Appl. Math. 1, 47–71.Google Scholar