Foods and predators of the green sea urchin Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis in Newfoundland waters
- 375 Downloads
Gut analyses of the green sea urchin Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis (O. F. Müller) demonstrated that perennial phaeophytes, mostly fucoids and Alaria esculenta, were predominant in the diet. Ephemeral species, coralline algae and animals, were consumed in smaller amounts when available. Grazing by the urchins is evidently responsible for the dearth of non-coralline sublittoral algae in Newfoundland waters. Lobsters, rock crabs, purple sea stars, other urchins, and a variety of fishes and birds feed on S. droebachiensis, but predation is apparently not effective in limiting the abundance of the urchin.
KeywordsCoralline Alga Rock Crab Strongylocentrotus Droebachiensis Ephemeral Species Newfoundland Water
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bigelow, H. B. and W. C. Schroeder: Fishes of the Gulf of Maine. Fishery Bull. Fish Wildl. Serv. U.S. (No. 74) Vol. 53, 1–577 (1953).Google Scholar
- Himmklman, J. H.: Some aspects of the ecology of Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis in eastern Newfoundland. M. Sc. Thesis, Newfoundland: Memorial University 1969.Google Scholar
- Huntsman, A. G.: Histories of new food fishes. I. The Canadian plaice. Bull. biol. Bd Can. 1, 1–32 (1918).Google Scholar
- Kennedy, V. S.: Aspects of the biology of the winter flounder, Pseudopleuronectes americanus (Walbaum), in Long Pond, Conception Bay, Newfoundland. M. Sc. Thesis, Newfoundland: Memorial University 1964.Google Scholar
- Leim, A. H. and W. B. Scott: Fishes of the Atlantic Coast of Canada. Bull. Fish. Res. Bd Can. 155, 1–485 (1966).Google Scholar
- Mobtensen, T.: A monograph of the Echinoidea 3, 446 pp. Copenhagen: C. A. Reitzel 1943.Google Scholar
- North, W. J.: Urchin predation. In: Kelp habitat improvement project, A. Rep. 1964–1965, pp 57–61. California Institute of Technology 1965.Google Scholar
- Threlfall, W.: The food of three species of gulls in Newfoundland. Can. Fld Nat. 82, 176–180 (1968).Google Scholar
- Weese, W.: The food and digestive process of Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis. Publ. Puget Sound Biol. Sta. 5, 165–179 (1926).Google Scholar