The shrinkage compensation of unsaturated polyester resins — polyvinyl acetate blends polymerization proceeds through fractal morphologies: characterization and simulation
- 45 Downloads
Blends of unsaturated polyester, styrene and polyvinyl acetate are hot cured either between glass plates or under pressure in a molding simulator. The morphologies of the products are observed using microscopy and show their usual aspects. They are characterized according to fractal concepts by image processing; the influence of mixture composition, pressure and temperature is investigated. Based on the hypothesis that phase separation governs the shrinkage compensation, a computer simulation of the fissuration phenomenon is performed using the diffusion limited agregation (DLA) model. This fractal model gives realistic results, and is used to show the effect of network parameters on the fissures fractal dimensions.
KeywordsShrinkage Styrene Phase Separation Fractal Dimension Glass Plate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. J. Bartkus and C. H. Kroekel, Appl. Poly. Symp. 15 (1970) 113.Google Scholar
- 5.L. R. Ross, S. P. Hardebeck and M. A. Bachmann, 43rd Annual Conference, Composites Institute, The Society of the Plastics Industry, Inc. Cincinatti, February 1–5, 1988, Session 17-C, 4 p.Google Scholar
- 6.T. Mitani, H. Shiraishi, K. Honda and G. E. Owen, 44th Annual Conference, Composites Institute, The Society of the Plastics Industry, Inc. Dallas, February 6–9, 1989, Session 12-F, 11 p.Google Scholar
- 7.L. Suspene, D. Fourquier and Y. S. Yang, 45th Annual Conference, Composites Institute, The Society of Plastics Industry, Inc. Washington, February 6–9, 1990, Session 12-F 8 p.Google Scholar
- 11.L. Kiaee, Y. S. Yang and L. J. Lee, AICHE Symp. 84 (1988) 12.Google Scholar
- 12.M. Kinkelaar, C. P. Hsu and L. J. Lee, 45th Annual Conference, Composites Institute, The Society of the Plastics Industry, Inc. February 12–15, 1990.Google Scholar
- 15.L. Suspene and Y. S. Yang, 46th Annual Conference, Composites Institute, The Society of the Plastics Industry, Inc. February 18–21, 1991, Session 7-C, 7 p.Google Scholar
- 19.J. F. Gouyet, “Physique et structures fractales”. (Masson, Paris: 1992) 234.Google Scholar
- 20.S. Borman, Chemical & Engineering News, (1991) April, p. 28–36.Google Scholar
- 21.B. Mandelbrot, “Les objects fractals” (Flammarion, Pairs 1984) 203.Google Scholar
- 22.M. Coster and J. L. Chermant, “Precis d'analyse d'images”. (Presses du CNRS, Paris 1989) 560.Google Scholar