Sapphire matrix composites reinforced with single crystal YAG phases
- 230 Downloads
An investigation of fabrication technology on eutectic composites consisting of Al2O3 phases and YAG (Y3Al5O12) phases was carried out by applying the unidirectional solidification process. Unidirectionally solidified eutectic composites consisting of 〈110〉 sapphire phases and 〈420〉 single crystal YAG phases could be fabricated successfully by lowering a Mo crucible at a speed of 5 mm h−1 under a pressure of 10−5 mmHg of argon. These eutectic composites have excellent high-temperature properties up to 1973 K. For example, the flexural strength is 360–500 MPa independent of testing temperature from room temperature to 1973 K. Oxidation resistance at 1973 K in an air atmosphere is superior to SiC and Si3N4 and the microstructure of these eutectic composites is stable even after heat treatment at 1773 K for 50 h in an air atmosphere.
KeywordsMicrostructure Heat Treatment Argon Al2O3 Sapphire
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Y. Waku and T. Nagasawa, in Proceedings of Symposium on Processing Fabrication of Advanced Materials III sponsored by the Structural Materials Division (SMD) of The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS) Materials Week '93, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 17–21 October, 1993, edited by V. A. Ravi, T. S. Srivatsan and J. J. Moore, p. 271.Google Scholar
- 2.R. Bowman and R. Noebe, Adv. Mater. Process. 8 (1989) 35.Google Scholar
- 3.Y. Waku and T. Nagasawa, in Proceedings of Symposium on Processing Fabrication of Advanced Materials III sponsored by the Structural Materials Division (SMD) of The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS) Materials Week '93, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 17–21 October, 1993, edited by V. A. Ravi, T. S. Srivatsan and J. J. Moore, p. 271.Google Scholar
- 4.J. W. Warren, Ceram. Eng. Sci. Proc. 6 (1985) 64.Google Scholar
- 5.P. J. Lamicq, G. B. Bernhart, M. M. Dauchier and J. G. Mace, Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull., 65 (1986) 336.Google Scholar
- 7.V. S. Stubican, R. C. Bradt, F. L. Kennard, W. J. Minford and C. C. Storrel, “Tailoring Multiphase and Composite Ceramics” (Plenum Press, New York and London, 1986).Google Scholar
- 8.E. M. Levin, C. R. Robbins and H. F. McMurdie “Phase Diagrams for Ceramists 1969 Supplement” (The American Ceramics Society, USA, 1969).Google Scholar
- 11.P. Lamicq, in Proceedings of Japan-Europe Symposium on Composite Materials, Nagoya, June 1993, edited by R & D Institute of Metals and Composites for Future Industries in Japan (Japan Industrial Technology Association, Tokyo, 1993) p. 4.Google Scholar