The metallurgical behaviour during brazing of Ni-base alloy Inconel 600 to Si3N4 with Ag71Cu27Ti2 filler metal
- 124 Downloads
Detailed observations were carried out on the metallurgical behaviour of joint-brazing of nickel based alloy Inconel 600 to Si3N4 with Ag71Cu27Ti2 filler metal, with emphasis on the interface between the filler metal and the Inconel 600 and the effects of nickel which was the predominant element in the base metal. Based on the experimental results, the mechanism of bonding Inconel 600 to the filler metal is attributed to the diffusion of silver and copper along the grain boundaries of the Inconel 600, which results in mechanical anchoring. The effects of nickel on the metallurgical behaviour of filler metal are summed up as enhancing the separation of silver- and copper-rich liquid phases from the molten filler metal; combining titanium and decreasing its activity in the reaction with Si3N4 at the interface with ceramics; promoting the diffusion of silver and copper into Inconel 600; and facilitating the flow of filler metal over the surface of Inconel 600.
KeywordsPolymer Copper Titanium Nickel Liquid Phasis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. Mizuhara and K. Mally, Weld. J. 64 (1985) 27.Google Scholar
- 2.M. G. Nicholas, D. A. Mortimer, L. M. Jonas and R. M. Crispin, J. Mater. Sci. 25 (1990) 2679.Google Scholar
- 3.A. P. Xian and Z. Y. Si, ibid. 25 (1990) 4483.Google Scholar
- 4.A. P. Tomsia, J. A. Pask and R. E. Loehman, in “Proceedings of the International Forum on Structural Ceramics Joining”, Pittsburgh, April 1987 (The American Ceramic Society Pittsburgh, PA, 1987) pp. 1613–54.Google Scholar
- 5.R. K. Brow and R. F. Loehman, ibid. pp. 1685–95.Google Scholar
- 6.S. C. Hsu, E. M. Dum, K. Ostreicher and T. Emma, ibid., pp. 1667–84.Google Scholar
- 7.Y. Chang, D. Golberg and T. P. Neuman, J. Phys. Chem. Ref. Data 6 (1977) 621.Google Scholar
- 8.Thadalens B. Massalski (ed.), “Binary Alloy Phase Diagrams”, Vol. 1 (American Society for Metals, Pittsburgh, 1986).Google Scholar
- 9.J. H. Chen, G. Z. Wang, K. Nogi, M. Kamai, N. Sato, and N. Iwamoto., J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 11 (1992) 1473.Google Scholar