Carbothermal synthesis of aluminium nitride at elevated nitrogen pressures
- 278 Downloads
This paper is the first part of an investigation of carbothermal nitridation of alumina at elevated nitrogen pressure. The effect of some process parameters on nitridation rate was studied at different temperatures (1300–1700 °C) and pressures (0.1–5 MPa). The experiments were performed in a graphite furnace permitting a controlled nitrogen flow through the sample holder, and continuous measurement of CO in the outlet gas. The products were characterized by X-ray diffraction, BET and elemental analyses. The nitridation rate was found to be a function of the process parameters. For a suitable temperature and pressure, e.g. 1600 °C and 1 MPa, pure AIN was obtained after just 1 h, with very low residual oxygen content (0.4 wt%). At a high gas-flow rate (⩾5 I min−1), the optimum range of pressure was 0.5–1 MPa at 1550–1700 °C. The nitridation was hampered by even small amounts of CO added to the system. No intermediate phases formed under the experimental conditions studied. Thermodynamic calculations on the Al-O-C-N system were performed in a search for explanations of the results.
KeywordsNitride Nitrogen Flow Thermodynamic Calculation Intermediate Phase Graphite Furnace
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. L. Li, L. P. Huang, X. Z. Huang, G. Kuang, S. H. Tan, S. R. Fwu and T. S. Yen in “Ceramic Powders”, edited by P. Vincenzini (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1983) p. 403.Google Scholar
- 2.T. Ya. Kosolapova, D. S. Yakovleva, G. S. Oleinik, T. S. Bartnitskaya, N. P. Tel'nikova and I. I. Timofeeva, Poroshk. Metall. 11 (1984) 14.Google Scholar
- 3.K. Shanker, S. Grenier and R. A. L. Drew, in “Ceramic Powder Science III”, edited by G. Messing, S. Hirano, H. Hausner (American Ceramic Society, Westerville, OH, 1990) p.321.Google Scholar
- 4.B. I. Lee and M.-A. Einarsrud, J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 9 (1990) 1389.Google Scholar
- 5.L. M. Sheppard, Ceram. Bull. 69 (1990) 1801.Google Scholar
- 6.L. D. Silverman, Adv. Ceram. Mater. 3 (1988) 418.Google Scholar
- 7.B. Forslund and J. Zheng, J. Mater. Sci. 28 (1993) 3132.Google Scholar
- 8.G. Eriksson, Chemica Scripta 8 (1975) 100.Google Scholar
- 9.R. A. Frank, C. W. Finn and J. F. Elliott, Metall. Trans. 20B (1989) 161.Google Scholar
- 11.M. Mitomo and Y. Yoshioka, Adv. Ceram. Mater. 2 (1987) 253.Google Scholar