Post-traumatic cysts and cyst-like lesions of bone
- 167 Downloads
We describe two patients with cyst-like lesions of bone that developed at sites of healed or healing fractures. One case showed histological features of a unicameral bone cyst, which, to the best of our knowledge, is a previously unreported finding in a post-traumatic cyst. It is suggested that there are two principal clinical and radiological types of post-traumatic cyst, of which each of our cases represents an example: (1) asymptomatic transient cortical lesions, found only in children, and (2) more central expanding lesions, found in a wider age group and associated with pain, swelling, and pathological fractures.
Key wordsBone cysts Fracture complications Post-fracture cysts Radius fractures Trauma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cowan CG (1980) Traumatic bone cysts of the jaws and their presentation. Int J Oral Surg 9:287Google Scholar
- 2.Dabezies EJ, D'Ambrosia RD, Chuinard RG, Ferguson AB Jr (1982) Aneurysmal bone cyst after fracture. A report of three cases. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 64:617Google Scholar
- 3.Johnston CE II, Fletcher RR (1986) Traumatic transformation of unicameral bone cyst into aneurysmal bone cyst. Orthopedics 9:1441Google Scholar
- 4.Kozlowski K, Masel J (1982) Simple bone cysts (report of two unusual cases). Australas Radiol 26:269Google Scholar
- 5.Kushner DC, Vance Z, Kirkpatrick JA Jr (1979) Case report 103. Skeletal Radiol 4:240Google Scholar
- 6.Levine BS, Dorfman HD, Matles AL (1969) Evolution of a post-fracture cyst of the fibula. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 51:1631Google Scholar
- 7.Levy WM, Miller AS, Bonakdarpour A, Aegerter E (1975) Aneurysmal bone cyst secondary to other osseous lesions. Report of 57 cases. Am J Clin Pathol 63:1Google Scholar
- 8.Malghem J, Maldague B (1986) Transient fatty cortical defects following fractures in children. Skeletal Radiol 15:368Google Scholar
- 9.Pfister-Goedeke L, Braune M (1981) Cyst-like cortical defects following fractures in children. Pediatr Radiol 11:83Google Scholar
- 10.Phillips D, Keats TE (1986) The development of post-traumatic cyst-like lesions in bone. Skeletal Radiol 15:631Google Scholar
- 11.Piney A (1922) The anatomy of the bone marrow. With special reference to the distribution of the red marrow. Br Med J II:792Google Scholar