A basic problem associated with choosing category size in a stage projection matrix is described. “Errors of estimation” are large if the category size is chosen too small and “errors of distribution” are large if the category size is chosen too large. An approximate technique of balancing these two error types is suggested as a solution to this dilemma.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bosch, C., Redwoods, A.: A population model. Science 172, 345–349 (1971)Google Scholar
- Goodman, L.A.: An elementary approach to the population projection matrix and to the mathematical theory of population growth. Demography V, 382–409 (1968)Google Scholar
- Harper, J.L., White, J.: The demography of plants. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 5, 419–463 (1972)Google Scholar
- Hartshorn, G.S.: The ecological life history and population dynamics of Pentaclethra macroloba, a tropical wet forest dominant and Stryphnodendron excelsum, an occasional associate. Ph.D. Thesis, Univ. of Wash., 118 pp. (1972)Google Scholar
- Keyfitz, N.: Introduction to the mathematics of population. Reading, Mass: Addison-Wesley 1968Google Scholar
- Keyfitz, N., Flieger, W.: Population. Facts and methods of demography 613 pp. San Francisco: Freeman 1971Google Scholar
- Lefkovitch, L.P.: The study of population growth in organisms grouped by stages, Biometrics 21, 1–18 (1965)Google Scholar
- Lefkovitch, L.P.: The effects of adult emigration on populations of Lasioderma serricorne. Oikos 15, 200–210 (1965a)Google Scholar
- Leslie, P.H.: The use of matrices in certain population mathematics. Biometrika 33, 183–212 (1945)Google Scholar
- Leslie, P.H.: Some further notes on the use of matrices in population mathematics. Biometrika 35, 213–245 (1948)Google Scholar
- Lewis, E.G.: On the generation and growth of a population. Sankhya 6, 93–96 (1942)Google Scholar
- Lotka, A.J.: Elements of mathematical biology. Baltimore: Williams and Willkins, 1925 (Dover reprint, 1956)Google Scholar
- Vandermeer, J.: On the construction of the population projection matrix for a population grouped in unequal stages. Biometrics 31, 239–242 (1975)Google Scholar
- Werner, P.A.: Predictions of fate from rosette size in teasel (Dipsacus fullonum L.). Oecologia (Berl.) 20, 197–201 (1975)Google Scholar