ack::Mu d1-8 (Aprlac) operon fusions of Salmonella typhimurium LT2
- 19 Downloads
Several ack::Mu d1-8 insertions were isolated from Salmonella typhimurium on MacConkey-glucose-trimethylamine oxide medium. They could not produce gas from glucose in the absence of exogeneous formate. Two of the mutants expressed β-galactosidase activity and were shown to be ack::Mu d1-8 fusions by genetic analysis. These insertions were characterized and located on the genetic map at the ack locus by co-transduction with zei::Tn10. The gene order zei::Tn10-ack-pta was established. The direction of transcription of ack was clockwise on the genetic map. Expression of the lac operon in ack::Mu d1-8 was increased twofold by anaerobiosis. Addition of formate, pyruvate, and acetate did not affect the anaerobic expression of the lac operon in ack::Mu d1-8.
Key wordsAcetate kinase Phosphotransacetylase Anaerobiosis Mu d1-8 fusions
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brown TDK, Jones-Mortimer MC, Kornberg HL (1977) The enzymatic interconversion of acetate and acetyl-coenzyme A in Escherichia coli. J Gen Microbiol 102:327–336Google Scholar
- Chumley FG, Menzel R, Roth JR (1979) Hfr formation directed by Tn10. Genetics 91:639–655Google Scholar
- Ely B, Weppleman RM, Massey HC Jr, Hartman PE (1974) Some improved methods in P22 transduction. Genetics 76:625–631Google Scholar
- Hughes KT, Roth JR (1984) Conditional transposition-defective derivative of Mu d1 (Amp Lac). J Bacteriol 159:130–137Google Scholar
- Kwan HS, Barrett EL (1984) Map locations and functions of Salmonella typhimurium men genes. J Bacteriol 159:1090–1092Google Scholar
- LeVine SM, Ardeshir F, Ames GF (1980) Isolation and characterization of acetate kinase and phosphotransacetylase mutants of Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium. J Bacteriol 143:1081–1085Google Scholar
- Maloy SR, Roth JR (1983) Regulation of proline utilization in Salmonella typhimurium: Characterization in put::Mu d(Ap, lac) operon fusions. J Bacteriol 154:561–568Google Scholar
- Miller JH (1972) Experiments in molecular genetics. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. Cold Spring Harbor, NYGoogle Scholar