Some Observations on the fine structure of the olfactory epithelium in the domestic duck
The fine structure of the olfactory epithelium of the domestic duck (Anser cinereus) has been examined and compared with the olfactory epithelium of other vertebrates, particularly the frog (Rana temporaria). In addition to the usual olfactory cilia, the terminal swellings of the olfactory receptors in the duck bear numerous short microvilli. The supporting cells of the epithelium do not secrete copious amounts of mucus as they do in the frog. The structure of the basal cells and of the glands of Bowman are briefly described.
It is concluded that the receptor microvilli could increase the free surface of a receptor dendrite by about 400% and that microvilli and cilia together may increase it by about 1000%. It is also concluded that as yet no phylogenetic pattern can be observed in the olfactory epithelia of various vertebrate groups.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allison, A. C.: The morphology of the vertebrate olfactory system. Biol. Rev. 28, 195–244 (1953).Google Scholar
- Andres, K. H.: Der Feinbau der Regio olfaotoria von Makrosmatikern. Z. Zellforsch. 69, 140–154 (1966).Google Scholar
- Bannister, L. H.: The fine structure of the olfactory surface of teleostan fishes. Quart. J. micr. Sci. 106, 333–342 (1965).Google Scholar
- Brown, H. E., and L. M. Beidler: The fine structure of the olfactory tissue in the black vulture. Fed. Proc. 25, No. 2 (1966).Google Scholar
- De Lorenzo, A. J.: Electron microscopic observations of the olfactory mucosa and olfactory nerve. J. biophys. biochem. Cytol. 3, 839–850 (1957).Google Scholar
- —: Electron microscopy of the olfactory and gustatory pathway. Ann. otolaryngol. 69, 410–420 (1960).Google Scholar
- —: Studies on the ultrastructure and histophysiology of cell membranes, nerve fibres and synaptic junctions in chemoreceptors. In: Olfaction and taste (ed. by Y. Zotterman), vol. 1, p. 5–18. Proceedings of the First international Symposium held at the Wenner-Gren Center. Stockholm 1962. New York: Macmillan & Co. 1963.Google Scholar
- Graziadei, P.: Electron microscopic observations on the olfactory mucosa of the cat. Experentia (Basel) 21, 274–275 (1965).Google Scholar
- —: Osservazioni al microscopio elettronico sulla mucosa olfattiva di rana. R. Acc. Naz. Lincei 40, 907–911 (1966a).Google Scholar
- —: Electron microscopic observations of the olfactory mucosa of the mole. J. Zool. 149, 89–94 (1966b).Google Scholar
- Millonig, G.: Advantages of a phosphate buffer for OsO4 solution in fixation. J. appl. Phys. 32, 1637 (1961).Google Scholar
- Reese, T. S.: Olfactory cilia in the frog. J. Cell Biol. 25, 209–230 (1965).Google Scholar
- Trujillo-Cenoz, O.: Electron microscope observations on chemo- and mechano-receptor cells of fishes. Z. Zellforsch. 54, 654–676 (1961).Google Scholar