Spine-like astrocytic protrusions into large axon terminals
Electron microscopic studies and three-dimensional graphic reconstructions from serial sections have shown that the large axon terminals of synaptic glomeruli in the ventrobasal nucleus of the rat are invaginated by spine-like protrusions from the astrocyte processes surrounding the glomeruli (“micro-trophospongium”). The astrocytic protrusions are similar in dimensions and internal morphology to the synapse-bearing dendritic excrescences that also invaginate the large axon terminals. Consequently astrocytic protrusions may be overlooked, or confused with dendritic excrescences sectioned at a non-synaptic level. The intimate neuronal—neuroglial relationship at such large axon terminals may reflect ion-exchange or metabolic interactions between the astrocytes and the axon terminal.
Key-WordsAxon Synapses Astrocytes Thalamus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gray, E. G.: The fine structure of the vertical lobe of Octopus brain. Phil. Trans. B. 258, 379–395 (1970).Google Scholar
- Karnovsky, M. J.: A formaldehyde-glutaraldehyde fixative of high osmolality for use in electron microscopy. J. Cell Biol. 27, 137A-138A (1965).Google Scholar
- Kuffler, S. W., Nicholls, J. G.: The physiology of neuroglial cells. Ergebn. Physiol. 57, 1–90 (1966).Google Scholar
- Lieberman, A. R., Špaček, J.: Experientia (Basle), in press (1971).Google Scholar
- McMahan, U. J.: Fine structure of synapses in the dorsal nucleus of the lateral geniculate body of normal and blinded rats. Z. Zellforsch. 76, 116–146 (1967).Google Scholar
- Palay, S. L.: The role of neuroglia in the organization of the central nervous system. In: Nerve as a tissue (Rodahl, K., and Issekutz, B. Jr., eds.), p. 3–10. New York: Harper and Row 1966.Google Scholar
- Pecci Saavedra, J., Vaccarezza, O. L., Mascitti, T. A.: Degeneration in the parvocellular portion of the lateral geniculate nucleus of the Cebus monkey. Z. Zellforsch. 93, 164–181 (1969).Google Scholar
- Peters, A., Palay, S. L., Webster, H. de F.: The fine structure of the nervous system. New York: Harper and Row 1970.Google Scholar
- Poritsky, R.: Two and three dimensional ultrastructure of boutons and glial cells on the motoneuronal surface in the cat spinal cord. J. comp. Neurol. 135, 423–451 (1969).Google Scholar
- Špaček, J., Lieberman, A. R.: Manuscript in preparation (1971).Google Scholar