Cloning of the structural gene for orotidine 5′-phosphate carboxylase of Neurospora crassa by expression in Escherichia coli
- 70 Downloads
A Neurospora gene bank in plasmid pRK9 was used to complement pyrimidine auxotrophs in E. coli. Two plasmids were obtained that complement a pyrF mutant of E. coli. These plasmids hybridise to Neurospora DNA and transform a pyr-4 strain of Neurospora. The promoter used in expressing the orotidine 5′-monophosphate carboxylase in E. coli is within the Neurospora sequence.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alton NK, Buxton FP, Patel V, Giles NH, Vapnek D (1982) 5′-untranslated sequences of two structural genes in the qa cluster of Neurospora crassa. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 79:1955–1959Google Scholar
- Bach ML, Lacroute F, Botstein D (1979) Evidence for transcriptional regulation of orotidine 5′-monophosphate decarboxylase in yeast by hybridisation of mRNA to the yeast structural gene cloned in Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 76:386–390Google Scholar
- Case ME, Schweizer M, Kushner SR, Giles NH (1979) Efficient transformation of Neurospora crassa by utilising hybrid plasmid DNA. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 76:5259–5263Google Scholar
- Hoopes BC, McClure WR (1981) Studies on the selectivity of DNA precipitation by spermine. Nucl Acid Res 9:5493–5504Google Scholar
- Ish-Horowicz D, Burke JF (1981) Rapid and efficient cosmid cloning. Nucl Acid Res 9:2989–2998Google Scholar
- Kinnaird JA, Fincham J (1983) An intron in the am (glutamate dehydrogenase) gene of Neurospora crassa. Heredity, in pressGoogle Scholar
- Makoff AJ, Radford A (1976) Glutamine utilisation in both the arginine-specific and pyrimidine-specific carbamoyl phosphate synthase enzymes. Mol Gen Genet 149:175–178Google Scholar
- Makoff AJ, Buxton FP, Radford A (1978) A possible model for the structure of the Neurospora carbamoyl phosphate synthaseaspartate carbamoyl transferase complex enzyme. Mol Gen Genet 161:297–304Google Scholar
- Rigby PWJ, Diekmann M, Rhodes C, Berg P (1977) Labelling DNA to high specific activity in vitro by nick translation with DNA polymerase. J Mol Biol 113:237–245Google Scholar
- Southern E (1975) Detection of specific sequences among DNA fragments separated by gel electrophoresis. J Mol Biol 98:503–517Google Scholar
- Vapnek D, Hautala JA, Jacobson JA, Giles NH, Kushner SR (1977) Expression in Escherichia coli K12 of the structural gene for catabolic dehydroquinase of Neurospora crassa. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 74:3508–3512Google Scholar
- Wiley WR (1974) Isolation of spheroplasts and membrane vesicles from yeast and filamentous fungi. Methods Enzymol 31:609–626Google Scholar