Molecular genetic analysis of the pyr-4 gene of Neurospora crassa
By means of S1 nuclease mapping, one transcription origin and three termini are identified for the pyr-4 gene of Neurospora crassa, the same origin being used also by Escherichia coli on the cloned gene. Translation of the clone in mini-cells gives a 50000 dalton gene product, the same size as that determined for the Neurospora native enzyme. Putative CAAT and TATA boxes, and upstream and downstream potential secondary structures, are identified.
Key wordsOrotidine 5′-monophosphate decarboxylase Promoter CAAT box TATA box Minicells
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beckwith JA, Pardee AB, Austrian R, Jacob F (1962) Coordination of the synthesis of the enzymes in the pyrimidine pathway of Escherichia coli. J Mol Biol 5:618–634Google Scholar
- Buxton FP, Radford A (1983) Cloning of the structural gene for orotidine 5′-monophosphate carboxylase of Neurospora crassa by expression in Escherichia coli. Mol Gen Genet 190:403–405Google Scholar
- Caroline DF (1969) Pyrimidine synthesis in Neurospora crassa: gene-enzyme relationships. J Bacteriol 100:1371–1377Google Scholar
- Lacroute F (1968) Regulation of pyrimidine biosynthesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Bacteriol 95:824–832Google Scholar
- Lewin B (1985). Genes, 2nd edn. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Newbury SF, Glazebrook JA, Radford A (1986) Sequence analysis of the pyr-4 (orotidine 5′-P decarboxylase) gene of Neurospora crassa. Genet 43:51–58Google Scholar
- Ohmstede CA, Langdon SD, Chae CB, Jones ME (1986) Expression and sequence analysis of a complementary DNA encoding the orotidine-5′-monophosphate decarboxylase domain from Ehrlich ascites uridylate synthetase. J Biol Chem 261:4276–4282Google Scholar
- Rose M, Grisafi P, Botstein D (1984) Structure and function of the yeast URA3 gene: expression in Escherichia coli. Gene 29:113–124Google Scholar
- Smith MCM, Mountain A, Baumberg S (1986) Sequence analysis of the Bacillus subtilis argC promoter region. Gene 49:53–60Google Scholar
- Tinoco Jr I, Borer PN, Dengler B, Levine MD, Uhlenbeck OC, Crothers DM, Gralla J (1973) Improved estimation of secondary structure in ribonucleic acids. Nature New Biol 246:40–41Google Scholar