When CS2, contained in a tube at pressures ranging from 350 to 450 mTorr, was optically excited by a pulsed laser at a wavelength of 343.6 nm to the J=29, v=(0, 10, 0), R3B2 state (i.e., the Σ=0 component of the a3A2 state), six coherent emissions were observed along the same axis from both ends of the tube. These emissions possess the characteristics of the pump laser, such as linewidth, pulse duration and polarization, but do not need a cavity to gain amplification. The emissions terminate on the high vibrational states of the ground electronic state. A time delay between the pump laser and the emissions was observed. The emission intensity depends non-linearly on the CS2 pressure and exhibits a third order power dependence. A cooperative stimulated emission model is proposed to explain this phenomenon.
PACS42.50 42.55 42.55H
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. Kleman: Can. J. Phys. 41, 2034 (1963)Google Scholar
- 2.H.T. Liou, P. Dan, H. Yang, R.W. Joy, N.C. Wang, J.Y. Yuh: In Laser Spectroscopy IX, ed. by M.S. Feld, J.E. Thomas, A. Mooradian (Academic, New York, 1989) p. 429Google Scholar
- 3.R.H. Dicke: Phys. Rev. 93, 99 (1954)Google Scholar
- 4.R. Bonifacio, L.A. Lugiato: Phys. Rev. A 11, 1507 (1975)Google Scholar
- 5.We have measured the lifetime of these levels to be longer than 1.4 ns using stimulated emission pumping in a folded Doppler broadened system. (Laser Spectroscopy IV, ed. by H. Walther, K.W. Rothe) (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg) pp. 88 (to be submitted)Google Scholar
- 6.C.E. Barker, R. Trebino, A.G. Kostenbauder, A.E. Siegman: J. Chem. Phys. 92, 4740 (1990)Google Scholar
- 7.J. Etchepare, G.A. Kenney-Wallace, G. Grillon, A. Migus, J.P. Chambaret: IEEE J. QE-18 (11), 1826 (1982)Google Scholar
- 8.H.T. Liou, H. Yang, N.C. Wang, R.W. Joy: Chem. Phys. Lett. 178, 80 (1991)Google Scholar
- 9.M. Sargent III, M.O. Scully, W.E. Lamb, Jr.: Laser Physics (Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA 1974)Google Scholar
- 10.P.F. Bernath, M. Dulick, R.W. Field, J.L. Hardwick: J. Mol. Spectro. 86, 275 (1981)Google Scholar