Two-dimensional coherent detection imaging in multiple scattering media based on the directional resolution capability of the optical heterodyne method
- 210 Downloads
This paper describes a new application of optical heterodyne detection using a laser beam for two-dimensional imaging of the internal structure of strongly scattering media in which the structure is completely obstructed from normal visual observation. The directional resolution capability for image formation due to the excellent antenna properties of the heterodyne technique is verified experimentally using a ground glass to cause strong scattering of the signal beam. Successful image detection of a test target placed in a highly scattering absorptive medium, with spatial resolution better than 400 μm in the case of our experiments, demonstrates that this Coherent Detection Imaging (CDI) method can overcome the diffuse nature of images in media such as those of biomedical interest and others to achieve scanning and tomographic imaging.
PACS42.60.Kg 87.60 Gp
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V.J. Corcoran: J. Appl. Phys. 36, 1819 (1965)Google Scholar
- 2.A.E. Siegman: Appl. Opt. 5, 1588 (1966)Google Scholar
- 3.L. d'Auria, J.P. Delort, C. Puech, E. Spitz: Opt. Commun. 6, 30 (1972)Google Scholar
- 4.M. Toida, M. Kondo, H. Inaba: OSA Annual Meeting, 1989 Tech. Dig. Series, Vol. 18 (Opt. Soc. Am., Washington, DC 1989) Paper FI6, p. 223Google Scholar
- 5.M. Toida, M. Kondo, T. Ichimura, H. Inaba: J. Japan Soc. Laser Medicine 10, 51 (1989) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 6.M. Toida, M. Kondo, T. Ichimura, H. Inaba: Electron. Lett. 26, 700 (1990)Google Scholar
- 7.A part of this paper was presented to 1990 CLEO: M. Toida, T. Ichimura, H. Inaba: Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, 1990 Tech. Dig. Series, Vol. 7 (Opt. Soc. Am., Washington, DC 1990) Paper CFP3, p. 548Google Scholar
- 8.H. Inaba, M. Toida, T. Ichimura: Postdeadline Paper, Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, 1990 Tech. Dig. Series, Vol. 7 (Opt. Soc. Am., Washington, DC 1990) Paper CPDP2-1, p. 559Google Scholar