Recent developments in Australia — reference materials and proficiency testing
- 27 Downloads
•development and implementation of new and improved testing methods;
•evaluation and commissioning of new instrumentation;
•advice and assistance to government with the design, implementation and conduct of proficiency testing programs, particularly in areas of chemical testing related to international trade.
In July 1993, in response to increasing international interest in chemical metrology, AGAL established a Valid Analytical Measurement program focused on improving the acceptability of laboratory data and supporting the development of appropriate standards through the National Standards Commission.
- •Preparation and certification of two priority reference materials
organochlorines (dieldrin and heptachlor epoxide) in animal fat,
organophosphates (diazinon, chlorpyrifos and ethion) in animal fat.
•Investigation of storage stability of animal liver samples containing avermectin, sulphonamide and other antibiotic residues to ascertain suitability for reference material production.
In the area of proficiency testing, AGAL provides ongoing services (in close consultation with NATA, the National Association of Testing Authorities) to the Australian export meat industry. AGAL is seeking to expand this role to involve a wider range of laboratories engaged in residue testing of both export and domestic produce.
The Australian Government believes it has an important role to play, particularly in the South East Asian and Pacific Rim regions, in co-operation, collaboration, assistance with training, and provision of specialist technical services.
KeywordsChlorpyrifos Proficiency Testing Diazinon Dieldrin Sulphonamide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Paauw CG van der, Rietveld AMJ, Maarse H, Griepink B, Maier EA (1992) Fresenius J Anal Chem 344:297–300Google Scholar
- 2.Paauw CG van der, Maarse H, Griepink B, Maier EA (1993) Fresenius J Anal Chem 345:564–566Google Scholar
- 3.ISO Guide 30 (1992) Terms and definitions used in connection with reference materials, 2nd ednGoogle Scholar
- 4.ISO Guide 31 (1981) Contents of certificates of reference materialsGoogle Scholar
- 5.ISO Guide 33 (1989) Uses of certified reference materialsGoogle Scholar
- 6.ISO Guide 35 (1989) Certification of reference materials — General and statistical principlesGoogle Scholar
- 7.Brown RL, Farmer CN, Millar RG (1987) J Assoc Off Anal Chem 70:442–445Google Scholar
- 8.Armishaw P, Millar RG (1993) J Assoc Off Anal Chem 73:1317–1322Google Scholar
- 9.Report of the 25th Session of the Codex Committee on Pesticide Residues, The Hague, 6–13 April 1992, Codex Alimentarius Commission document, Alinorm 93/24, appendix III, annex I, WHO/FAO, RomeGoogle Scholar
- 10.Request for Tender — National Residue Survey, NRS 7/93–12/94, Contracting of Chemical Analytical Testing, Bureau of Rural Sciences, Canberra, Australia (1993)Google Scholar
- 11.Wells RJ, Skopec ZV, Blackman N, Juniper I (1993) Chemistry in Australia 60(11):588–589Google Scholar