Respiratory distress as primary symptom of relapse in a patient with non-hodgkin lymphoma
A report on a 74-year old woman with high-grade malignant non-Hodgkin lymphoma in clinical remission, who suddenly developed episodes of severe dyspnea and wheezing. Clinical and roentgenographic investigations including tomography of the trachea failed to demonstrate any lesion. Fiberoptic bronchoscopy revealed and endotracheal, polyp-like lymphoma 3 cm above the carina, which was immediately operated. Other sites of relapse (submandibular lymphnodes) were found 2 weeks after the operation. Second-line chemotherapy (IMVP 16) was able to induce a second remission.
Key wordsImmunoblastic lymphoma Respiratory distress Endotracheal lymphoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Balikian JP, Herman PG (1979) Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma of the lungs. Radiology 132: 569–576Google Scholar
- 2.Bragg DG (1978) The clinical, pathologic and radiographic spectrum of the thoracic lymphomas. Invest Radiol 13: 2–11Google Scholar
- 3.Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital (1984) A 74-year old man with treated lymphoma and persistent wheezing. New Engl J Med 310: 1653–1661Google Scholar
- 4.Filly R, Blank N, Castellino RA (1978) Radiographic distribution of intrathoracic disease in previously untreated patients with Hodgkin's disease and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Radiology 120: 277–281Google Scholar
- 5.Kilgore TL, Chasen MH (1983) Endobronchial non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Chest 84: 58–61Google Scholar
- 6.Lennert K (1981) Histopathology of non-Hodgkin lymphomas: Kiel classification. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 7.Papaioannon AN, Watson WL (1965) Primary lymphoma of the lung: an appraisal of the natural history and a comparison with other localized lymphoma. J Thoracic Cardiovasc Surg 49: 373–387Google Scholar
- 8.Rees GM (1972) Primary lymphosarcoma of the lung. Thorax 28: 429–431Google Scholar
- 9.Stern OS, Tulgan H, Budnito J, Haidak G (1968) Endobronchial presentation of malignant lymphoma. Am Rev Respir Dis 98: 872–874Google Scholar