Response of cavernous sinus hemangioma to radiotherapy: a case report
- 69 Downloads
The author reports a case of a histologically proven cavernous hemangioma of the cavernous sinus and middle fossa, which was treated by radiotherapy. This very rare lesion represents a formidable challenge to the neurosurgeon and its excision has been associated with a considerable mortality rate. The significant reduction in the size of tumor of our patient after radiotherapy and the corresponding improvement in her clinical condition provide further evidence in support of the use of radiotherapy as the first line treatment modality after the histological confirmation of a cavernous sinus hemangioma. Surgery should be reserved for tumors that fail to respond to radiotherapy or recur after an initial good response to radiotherapy.
KeywordsCavernous sinus cavernous hemangiomas middle fossa radiotherapy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Goel A, TD Nadkarni: Cavernous haemangioma in the cavernous sinus. Br J Neurosurg 9 (1995) 77–80Google Scholar
- Katayama Y, T Tsubokawa, S Miyazaki et al: Magnetic resonance imaging of cavernous sinus cavernous haemangiomas. Neuroradiology 33 (1991) 118–122Google Scholar
- Kudo T, S Ueki, H Kobayashi et al: Experience with the ultrasonic surgical aspirator in a cavernous haemangioma of the cavernous sinus. Neurosurgery 24 (1989) 628–631Google Scholar
- Linskey ME, LN Sekhar: Cavernous sinus haemangiomas: a series, a review and a hypothesis. Neurosurgery 30 (1992) 101–108Google Scholar
- Meyer FB, D Lombardi, B Scheithauer et al: Extraaxial cavernous haemangiomas involving the dural sinuses. J Neurosurg 73 (1990) 187–192Google Scholar
- Rigamonti D, CTE Pappas, RF Sperzler et al: Extracerebral cavernous angiomas of the middle fossa. Neurosurgery 27 (1990) 306–310Google Scholar
- Rosenblum B, AS Rothman, C Lanzieri et al: A cavernous sinus cavernous haemangioma. J Neurosurg 65 (1986) 716–718Google Scholar
- Sawamura Y, N de Tribolet: Cavernous haemangioma in the cavernous sinus: Case report. Neurosurgery 26 (1990) 126–128Google Scholar
- Sepehrnia A, M Tatagiba, A Brandis et al: Cavernous angioma of the cavernous sinus: Case report. Neurosurgery 27 (1990) 151–155Google Scholar
- Shibata S, K Mori: Effect of radiation therapy on extracerebral venous haemangioma in the middle fossa. Report of three cases. J Neurosurg 67 (1987) 919–922Google Scholar
- Yamamoto Y, Z Weining, T Ohashi: Intracavernous cavernous haemangioma: dynamic CT findings and effectiveness of irradiation: case report. Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 32 (1992) 93–95Google Scholar