The article is a biographical account of Terence Tao's mathematical development. Born in 1975 he has exhibited a formidable mathematical precociousness which the author describes in some detail. The paper also presents the social and family context surrounding this precociousness and discusses the educational implications of this data.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bell, E. T.: 1962, Men of Mathematics, Simon and Schuster, New York.Google Scholar
- Burden, L. D. and Coulson, S. A.: 1981, ‘Processing of spatial tasks’, M.Ed. Studies Project, Monash University.Google Scholar
- Cornish, G. and Wines, R.: 1977, Operations Test, Australian Council for Educational Research, Melbourne.Google Scholar
- Fefferman, C.: 1983, ‘An account of a mathematician's education’, Mathematics Teacher 76, 228.Google Scholar
- House, P. A.: 1983, ‘Alternative education programs for gifted students in mathematics’, Mathematics Teacher 76, 229–233.Google Scholar
- Krutetskii, V. A.: 1976, The Psychology of Mathematical Abilities in Schoolchildren, University of Chicago Press (translated from Russian by J. Teller, edited by J. Kilpatrick and I. Wirszup).Google Scholar
- Lean, G. A. and Clements, M. A.: 1981, ‘Spatial ability, visual imagery and mathematical performance’, Educational Studies in Mathematics 12, 267–299.Google Scholar
- Shepard, R. N.: 1978, ‘Externalization of mental images and the act of creation’, in B. S. Randhawa and W. E. Coffman (eds.), Visual Learning, Thinking and Communication, Academic Press, New York 133–184.Google Scholar
- Sheckels, M. P. and Eliot, J.: 1983, ‘Preference and solution patterns in mathematics performance’, Perceptual and Motor Skills 57, 811–816.Google Scholar
- Stanley, J. C. and Benbow, C. P.: 1982, ‘Educating mathematically precocious youths: Twelve policy recommendations’, Educational Researcher 11, 4–9.Google Scholar
- Stanley, J. C. and Benbow, C. P.: 1983, ‘SMPY's first decade: Ten years of posing problems and solving them’, Journal of Special Education 17, 11–25.Google Scholar
- Vance, J. H.: 1983, ‘The mathematically talented student revisited’, Arithmetic Teacher 31, 22–25.Google Scholar
- Wattanawaha, N. and Clements, M. A.: 1982, ‘Qualitative aspects of sex-related differences in performances on pencil-and-paper spatial questions, grades 7–9’, Journal of Educational Psychology 74, 878–887.Google Scholar