We present herein two unusual cases of multicentric liposarcoma which highlight the problems associated with the management of this disease entity. When the surgeon is confronted with multicentric liposarcomas, it is necessary to define whether they are secondary tumors or independently arising multicentric liposarcomas, since the latter situation merits a more aggressive approach. Guidelines for this differentiation are suggested in the discussion following the case reports. Surgery, which is often multiple, remains the mainstay of treatment, although adjuvant chemotherapy and radiotherapy are also usually required.
Key Wordsliposarcoma retroperitoneal liposarcoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Reitan JB, Kaalhaus O, Brennhovol I, Sager EM, Stenvig AE, Talle K (1985) Prognostic factors in liposarcoma. Cancer 55:2482–2490Google Scholar
- 2.Ackerman LV (1944) Multiple primary liposarcomas. Am J Pathol 20:789–793Google Scholar
- 3.Pack GT, Pierson JC (1954) Liposarcomas, a study of 105 cases. Surgery 36:678–712Google Scholar
- 4.Stout AP (1944) Liposarcoma — The malignant tumor of lipoblasts. Ann Surg 110:86–107Google Scholar
- 5.Kindlblom LG, Angervall L, Svendsen P (1975) Liposarcoma. A clinicopathologic, radiographic, and prognostic study. Acta Pathol et Microbiol Scand, Section A [Suppl] 253:1–71Google Scholar
- 6.Starkloff GB, Saxton JA, Johnson RE (1951) Liposarcoma of an extremity associated with multiple subcutaneous lipomas. Ann Surg 133:261–266Google Scholar
- 7.Barkhof F, Melkert P, Blomjous CE (1991) Derangement of adipose tissue. A case report of multicentric retroperitoneal liposarcomas, retroperitoneal lipomatosis and multiple subcutaneous lipomas. Eur J Surg Oncol 17:547–550Google Scholar
- 8.Wells HG (1940) Adipose tissue, a neglected subject. JAMA 114:2177–2183Google Scholar
- 9.Spittle ME, Newton KA, Mackenzie DH (1970) Liposarcoma. A review of 60 cases. Br J Cancer 24:696–704Google Scholar
- 10.Gottlieb JA, Baker LH, Quagliana JM, Revkins E, Brownlee R, Fri E (1972) Chemotherapy of sarcomas with combination of adriamycin and dimethyl triazeno imidazole carboxamide. Cancer 30:1632–1638Google Scholar