Copolymerization of ethylene and 1-octadecene with the Cp2ZrCl2/MAO and Cp2HfCl2/MAO catalyst systems
- 45 Downloads
The comparison of the copolymers obtained with the Cp2ZrCl2/MAO and Cp2HfCl2/MAO catalyst systems showed that the catalyst having hafnocene was much more reactive towards 1-octadecene than zirconocene. The comonomer concentration had to be three times higher in the zirconocene copolymerization than in the hafnocene copolymerization when the level of 6 mol-% was reached. Although the hafnocene catalyst was more reactive towards 1-octadecene, the molecular weights were higher than in the copolymers obtained with the zirconocene catalyst.
The total activity of the zirconocene was 10 times higher than with the hafnocene catalyst. With the zirconocene catalyst the activity towards ethylene was constantly increasing by increasing the comonomer concentration but stayed nearly constant with the hafnocene catalyst. It seemed that there is no rate enhancement effect upon comonomer addition with the hafnocene catalyst.
KeywordsPolymer Ethylene Molecular Weight Copolymerization Material Processing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sinn H, Kaminsky W, Vollmer H-J (1980) Angew Chem 92:396Google Scholar
- 2.Kaminsky W (1983) Polymerization and Copolymerization with a Highly Active, Soluble Ziegler-Natta Catalyst. In: Quirk RP (Ed) Transition Metal Catalyzed Polymerizations — Alkenes and Dienes, Harwood, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 3.Kaminsky W, Miri M, Sinn H, Woldt R (1983) Makromol Chem, Rapid Commun 4: 417Google Scholar
- 4.Kaminsky W, Hahnsen H (1987) Polymerization of Olefins with a Homogeneous Zirconium/Alumoxane Catalyst. In: Seymour RB, Cheng T (Eds) Advances in Polyolefins, Plenum Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 5.Mallin DT, Rausch MD, Chien JCW (1988) Polym Bull 20:421Google Scholar
- 6.Chien JCW, He D (1991) J Polym Sci, Polym Chem Ed 29:1585Google Scholar
- 7.Ewen JA, Haspeslagh L, Atwood JL, Zhang H (1987) J Am Chem Soc 109:6544Google Scholar
- 8.Ewen JA, Jones RL, Razavi A (1988) J Am Chem Soc 110:6255Google Scholar
- 9.Ahlers A, Kaminsky, W (1988) Makromol Chem, Rapid Commun 9: 457Google Scholar
- 10.Heiland K, Kaminsky, K (1992) Makromol Chem 193:601Google Scholar
- 11.Randall JC (198) J Macromol Sci-Rev Mcromol Chem Phys C29:201Google Scholar