A balanced search tree with O(1) worst-case update time
- 163 Downloads
In this paper a new data structure is described for performing member and neighbor queries in O(logn) time that allows for O(1) worst-case update time once the position of the inserted or deleted element is known. In this way previous solutions that achieved only O(1) amortized time or O(log*n) worst-case time are improved. The method is based on a combinatorial result on the height of piles that are split after some fixed number of insertions. This combinatorial result is interesting in its own right and might have other applications as well.
KeywordsInformation System Operating System Data Structure Communication Network Information Theory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Guibas, L., McCreight, E., Plass, M., Roberts, J.: A new representation for linear lists. Proceedings of the 9th ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pp. 49–60. Boulder: ACM 1977Google Scholar
- 2.Harel, D.: Fast updates with a guaranteed time bound per update. Technical Report, Dept. of ICS, University of California at Irvine 1979Google Scholar
- 3.Harel, D., Lueker, G.: A data structure with movable fingers and deletions. Technical Report 145, Dept. of ICS, University of California at Irvine 1979Google Scholar
- 4.Huddleston, S., Mehlhorn, K.: A new data structure for representing sorted lists. Acta Inf. 17, 157–184(1982)Google Scholar
- 5.Overmars, M.H.: A O(1) average time update scheme for balanced search trees. Bull. EATCS 18, 27–29 (1982)Google Scholar
- 6.Overmars, M.H.: The design of dynamic data structures. (Lect. Notes Comput. Sci., Vol. 156.) Berlin Heidelberg New York: Springer 1983Google Scholar
- 7.Overmars, M.H., Leeuwen, J. van: Worst-case optimal insertion and deletion methods for decomposable searching methods. Inf. Process. Lett. 12, 168–173 (1981)Google Scholar
- 8.Erf, J. van der: Een datastructuur met zoektijd O(logn) en constante update-tijd (in Dutch). Technical Report RUU-CS-87-19, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Utrecht 1987Google Scholar