Synthesis and polymerization of 4-vinyl [2.2]paracyclophane
4-Vinyl [2.2]paracyclophane (1) was successfully prepared as white crystals in 45 % yield via three step reactions. Monomer 1 was homopolymerizable with 2,2′-azobis(isobutyronitrile) (AIBN), boron trifluoride etherate, and butyllithium. Monomer 1 was copolymerizable with methyl acrylate and p-chlorostyrene in the presence of AIBN in benzene at 60 °C. It was found that monomer 1 was less conjugative and more electron-donating than styrene.
KeywordsPolymer Methyl Benzene Boron Styrene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brown CJ, Farthing AC (1949) Nature (London) 164: 915Google Scholar
- 2.Keehn PM, Rosenfeld SM (1983) Cyclophanes Academic Press New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 7.Cram DJ, Allinger NL (1955) J Am Chem Soc 88: 152Google Scholar
- 8.Iwatsuki S, Itoh T, Iwai T, Sawada H (1985) Macromolecules 18: 2726Google Scholar
- 10.Lewis FM, Walling C, Cummings W, Briggs RR, Mayo FR (1948) J Am Chem Soc 70: 1519Google Scholar