Individuation and the semantics of demonstratives
- 62 Downloads
Obsessed by the cases where things go wrong, we pay too little attention to the vastly more numerous cases where they go right, and where it is perhaps easier to see that the descriptive content of the expression concerned is wholly at the service of this function [of identifying reference], a function which is complementary to that of predication and contains no element of predication in itself (Strawson , p. 66).
An earlier version of the paper was written during an enjoyable year spent as a Research Fellow at the University of Melbourne.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- BurgeT.: 1977, ‘Belief De Re’, Journal of Philosophy 74, 338–362.Google Scholar
- Evans, G.: 1981, ‘Understanding Demonstratives’, in H. Parret and J. Bouveresse (eds.), Meaning and Understanding, de Gruyter, pp. 280–303.Google Scholar
- Kaplan, D.: 1977, Demonstratives, Draft #2, mimeo, UCLA.Google Scholar
- McGinn, C.: 1982, ‘The Structure of Content’, in A. Woodfield (ed.) Thought and Object, Oxford University Press, pp. 207–258.Google Scholar
- PeacockeC.: 1981, ‘Demonstrative Thought and Psychological Explanation’, Synthese 49, 187–217.Google Scholar
- PerryJ.: 1977, ‘Frege on Demonstratives’, Philosophical Review 86, 474–497.Google Scholar
- PerryJ.: 1979, ‘The Problem of the Essential Indexical’, Noûs 13, 3–21.Google Scholar
- Perry, J.: 1980a, ‘Belief and Acceptance’, in P. A. French, et al. (eds.) Midwest Studies in Philosophy Volume V: Studies in Epistemology, University of Minnesota Press, pp. 533–542.Google Scholar
- PerryJ.: 1980b, ‘A Problem About Continued Belief’, Pacific Philosophical Quarterly 61, 317–332.Google Scholar
- Perry, J.: 1982, ‘Perception, Action, and the Structure of Believing’, to appear in a Festschrift for Paul Grice edited by Richard Grandy and Richard Warner.Google Scholar
- Quine, W. V. O.: 1974, The Roots of Reference, Open Court.Google Scholar
- SchifferS.: 1981, ‘Indexicals and the Theory of Reference’, Synthese 49, 43–100.Google Scholar
- Strawson, P. F.: 1959, Individuals, Methuen.Google Scholar
- Strawson, P. F.: 1974, Subject and Predicate in Logic and Grammar, Methuen.Google Scholar
- Taylor, B.: 1980, ‘Truth-theory for Indexical Languages’, in M. Platts (ed.) Reference, Truth and Reality, Routledge & Kegan Paul, pp. 182–198.Google Scholar
- WeinsteinS.: 1974, ‘Truth and Demonstratives’, Noûs 8, 179–184.Google Scholar
- Wiggins, D.: 1980, Sameness and Substance, Blackwell.Google Scholar