New classes of common fragile sites induced by 5-azacytidine and bromodeoxyuridine
- 44 Downloads
Two new classes of common fragile site seen in chromosomes from blood lymphocyte cultures are reproted. The first cláss is induced in bands 1q42 and 19q13 by 5-azacytidine (5-AZA). Maximum induction of these fragile sites occurs when the 5-AZA is added 5–8 h prior to harvest. The second class is induced in bands 6q13, 9p21, and 10q21 by bromodeoxyuridine (BrdU). In this instance maximum induction occurred if the BrdU was added 4–6h prior to harvest. The known fragile sites, both rare and common, are summarised.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Daniel A, Ekblom L, Phillips S (1984) Constitutional fragile sites 1p31, 3p14, 6q26 and 16q23 and their use as controls for false negative results with the fragile (X). Am J Med Genet 18:483–492Google Scholar
- Fucik V, Michaelis A, Rieger R (1970) On the induction of segment extension and chromatid structural changes in Vicia faba chromosomes after treatment with 5-azacytidine and 5-azadeoxycytidine. Mutat Res 9:599–606Google Scholar
- Glover TW, Berger C, Coyle J, Echo B (1984) DNA polymerase α inhibition by aphidicolin induces gaps and breaks in human chromosomes at common fragile sites but not the fragile X. Hum Genet 67:136–142Google Scholar
- Hecht F, Sutherland GR (1984) Fragile sites and cancer breakpoints. Cancer Genet Cytogenet 12:179–181Google Scholar
- Sutherland GR (1979) Heritable fragile sites on human chromosomes. I. Factors affecting expression in lymphocyte culture. Am J Hum Genet 31:125–135Google Scholar
- Sutherland GR (1983) The fragile X chromosome. Int Rev Cytol 81:107–143Google Scholar
- Sutherland GR, Hecht F (1985) Fragile sites on human chromosomes. Oxford University Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Viegas-Pequignot E, Dutrillaux B (1976) Segmentation of human chromosomes induced by 5-ACR (5-azacytidine). Hum Genet 34:247–254Google Scholar
- Viegas-Pequignot E, Dutrillaux B (1981) Detection of G-C rich heterochromatin by 5-azacytidine in mammals. Hum Genet 57:134–137Google Scholar
- Yunis JJ (1983) The chromosomal basis of human neoplasia. Science 221:227–236Google Scholar
- Yunis JJ (1984) Fragile sites and predisposition to leukemia and lymphoma. Cancer Genet Cytogenet 12:85–88Google Scholar