Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology

, Volume 6, Issue 2, pp 155–160 | Cite as

Prey catching with and without echolocation in the Indian false vampire (Megaderma lyra)

  • Joachim Fiedler
Article

Summary

  1. 1.

    Under laboratory conditions echolocation sounds were recorded from four Megaderma lyra catching a mouse in complete darkness from an experimental table. Flight paths and sequences of sound emission were synchronously recorded by stroboscopic photography and high-speed tape-recording (Figs. 1 and 2).

     
  2. 2.

    During approach toward a live mouse in 54% of 35 completely recorded flights, the bat emitted ultrasounds, but only up to five sounds could be recorded during a complete approach (Fig. 1a). During the other 46% of the 35 flights, the bat did not emit a sound, yet successfully caught the prey (Fig. 1 b).

     
  3. 3.

    When a dead mouse was offered, only one bat successfully echolocated the dead mouse and emitted a specific double sound sequence of intense ultrasounds. The other three bats did not take off for an approach. When mouse noises were substituted for the live mouse, the approach flight of two of the bats was immediately triggered as if a live mouse were offered. Only a few echolocation sounds were emitted in both cases.

     
  4. 4.

    It is concluded that M. lyra can locate the noise of live prey in complete darkness, without the use of echolocation.

     

Preview

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

References

  1. Airapetjantz, E. Sh., Konstantinov, A. I.: Echolocation in nature. Leningrad: Nauka 1970 (2nd ed. 1974)Google Scholar
  2. Ehret, G.: Development of absolute auditory thresholds in the house mouse (Mus musculus). J. Am. Audiol. Soc. 1, 179–184 (1976)Google Scholar
  3. Fenton, M.B., Morris, G.K.: Opportunistic feeding by desert bats (Myotis ssp.). Can J. Zool. 54, 526–528 (1976)Google Scholar
  4. Griffin, D.R., Simmons, J.A.: Echolocation of insects by horseshoe bats. Nature 250, 731–732 (1974)Google Scholar
  5. Griffin, D.R., Webster, F.A., Michael C.R.: The echolocation of flying insects by bats. Anim. Behav. 8, 141–154 (1960)Google Scholar
  6. Habersetzer, J.: Ortungslaute der Mausohrfledermäuse (Myotis myotis) in verschiedenen Ortungssituationene. Diplomarbeit, Fachbereich Biologie, Universität Frankfurt (1978)Google Scholar
  7. Kolb, A.: Sinnesleistungen einheimischer Fledermäuse bei der Nahrungssuche und Nahrungsauswahl auf dem Boden und in der Luft. Z. Vergl. Physiol. 44, 550–564 (1961)Google Scholar
  8. Konishi, M.: How the owl tracks its prey. Am. Sci. 61, 414–424 (1973)Google Scholar
  9. Möhres, F.P., Neuweiler, G.: Die Ultraschallorientierung der Großblatt-Fledermäuse (Chiroptera-Megadermatidae). Z. Vergl. Physiol. 53, 195–227 (1966)Google Scholar
  10. Novick, A.: Pulse duration in the echolocation of insects by the bat, Pteronotus. Ergeb. Biol. 26, 21–26 (1963)Google Scholar
  11. Novick, A.: Echolocation of flying insects by the bat, Chiloycteris psilotis. Biol. Bull. 128, 297–314 (1965)Google Scholar
  12. Novick, A., Vaisnys, J.R.: Echolocation of flying insects by the bat, Chilonycteris parnellii. Biol. Bull. 127, 478–488 (1964)Google Scholar
  13. Payne, R.S.: Acoustic location of prey by barn owls (Tyto alba). J. Exp. Biol. 54, 535–573 (1971)Google Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer-Verlag 1979

Authors and Affiliations

  • Joachim Fiedler
    • 1
  1. 1.Arbeitskreis Neuro-und Rezeptorphysiologie, Fachbereich BiologieJ.W. Geothe-UniversitätFrankfurtFederal Republic of Germany

Personalised recommendations