Reliability of the Attitudes Toward Women Scale (AWS) and the Personal Attributes Questionnaire (PAQ)
- 416 Downloads
The stability and internal consistency of Spence and Helmreich's Attitudes Toward Women Scale (AWS) and Personal Attributes Questionnaire (PAQ) are reported. An entire first-year class of 1,007 male and 78 female cadets at the U.S. Military Academy were given a battery of psychological tests before and after cadet basic training, a 2 1/2-month period. The AWS and PAQ proved to be highly reliable, comparable to other frequently used psychological tests. This psychometric information encourages researchers to make further use of these gender-related instruments.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fitts, W. H. Manual: Tennessee Self-Concept Scale. Nashville, Tenn.: Counselor Recordings and Texts, 1965.Google Scholar
- Locksley, A., & Colten, M. E. Psychological androgyny: A case of mistaken identity? Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 1979, 37, 1017–1031.Google Scholar
- Pedhazur, E. J., & Teterbaum, T. J. Bem Sex Role Inventory: A theoretical and methodological critique. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 1979, 37, 996–1016.Google Scholar
- Porter, L., Steers, R., Mowday, R. T., & Boulian, P. V. Organizational commitment, job satisfaction, and turnover among psychiatric technicians. Journal of Applied Psychology, 1974, 59, 603–609.Google Scholar
- Rotter, J. B. Generalized expectancies for internal versus external control of reinforcement. Psychological Monographs, 1966, 80(1, Whole No. 609), 1–28.Google Scholar
- Sarason, I. G., & Ganzer, V. J. Anxiety, reinforcement, and experimental instructions in a free verbalization situation. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 1962, 65, 300–307.Google Scholar
- Spence, J. T., & Helmreich, R. The Attitudes toward Women Scale: An objective instrument to measure attitudes toward the rights and roles of women in contemporary society. JSAS Catalog of Selected Documents in Psychology, 1972, 2, 66.Google Scholar
- Spence, J. T., & Helmreich, R. Masculinity and femininity: Their psychological dimensions, correlates, and antecedents. Austin: University of Texas Press, 1978.Google Scholar
- Spence, J. T., & Helmreich, R. The many faces of androgyny: A reply to Locksley and Colten. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 1979, 37, 1032–1046.Google Scholar
- Spence, J. T., Helmreich, R., & Stapp, J. A short version of the Attitudes toward Women Scale (AWS). Bulletin of the Psychonomic Society, 1973, 2, 219–220.Google Scholar
- Spence, J. T., Helmreich, R., & Stapp, J. The Personal Attributes Questionnaire: A measure of sex-role stereotypes and masculinity-femininity. JSAS Catalog of Selected Documents in Psychology, 1974, 4, 43.Google Scholar