The isolation, characterisation, and chromosomal assignment of the gene for human 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase, (HMG-CoA reductase)
- 54 Downloads
We have used a cDNA clone for Chinese hamster 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A (HMG-CoA) reductase to isolate a genomic recombinant for human HMG-CoA reductase. The identity of the gene was confirmed by partial sequence analysis. Several unique fragments that will be useful for restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP) studies were identified. In situ hybridisation of a 2.6kb unique fragment of the gene to human metaphase chromosomes localised the human HMGCoA reductase gene to human chromosome 5q12.
KeywordsSequence Analysis Metabolic Disease Restriction Fragment Length Polymorphism cDNA Clone Chromosome 5q12
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alberts AW, Chen J, Kuron G, Hunt V, Huff J, Hoffman C, Rothrock J Lopez M, Joshua H, Harris E, Patchett A, Monaghan R, Currie S, Stapley E, Albers-Schonberg G, Hensens O, Hirshfield J, Hoogsteen K, Liesch J, Springer J (1980) Mevinolin: a highly potent competitive inhibitor of hydroxymethylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase and a cholesterol-lowering agent. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 77:3957–3961PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Chin DJ, Luskey KL, Anderson RGW, Faust JR, Goldstein JL, Brown MS (1982b) Appearance of crystalloid endoplastic reticulum in compactin-resistant Chinese hamster cells with a 500-fold increase in 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 79:1185–1189PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ish-Horowitz D, Burke JF (1981) Rapid and efficient cosmid cloning. Nucleic Acids Res 9:2989–2998Google Scholar
- Maniatis T (1982a) Molecular cloning (A laboratory manual). Cold Spring Harbor Laboratories. Cold Spring Harbor, NY, p 170Google Scholar
- Maniatis T (1982b) Molecular cloning (A laboratory manual). Cold Spring Harbor Laboratories. Cold Spring Harbor, NY, p 250Google Scholar