Pacemakers in aggregation fields of Dictyostelium discoideum: does a single cell suffice?
- 47 Downloads
In this paper we address the following question: can a single cell of the cellular slime mold Dictyostelium discoideum serve as a pacemaker for the aggregation phase? Whether or not this is possible is determined by the relative importance of cyclic AMP production due to self-stimulation as compared to diffusion of cyclic AMP away from the cell and extracellular degradation. We determine the conditions under which a single cell on an infinite place can emit periodic signals of cyclic AMP using a model developed previously for signal relay and adaptation in Dictyostelium. Elsewhere it has been shown that this model provides an accurate representation of the stimulus-response behavior of Dictyostelium for a variety of experimental conditions.
Key wordsSingle cell pacemaker Diffusion Self-stimulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alcantara, F., Monk, M.: Signal propagation during aggregation in the slime mold Dictyostelium discoidem. J. Gen. Microbiol. 85, 321–334 (1974)Google Scholar
- 2.Cohen, M. H., Drage, D. J., Robertson, A.: Intophoresis of cyclic AMP. Biophys. J. 15, 753–763 (1975)Google Scholar
- 3.Devreotes, P. N., Derstine, P. L., Steck, T. L.: Cyclic 3′, 5′ AMP relay in Dictyostelium discoideum I. A technique to monitor responses to controlled stimuli. J. Cell Biol. 80, 291–299 (1979)Google Scholar
- 4.Devreotes, P. N., Steck, T. L.: Cyclic 3′,5′ AMP relay in Dictyostelium discoideum II. Requirements for the initiation and termination of the response. J. Cell Biol. 80, 300–309 (1979)Google Scholar
- 5.Dinauer, M. C., MacKay, S. A., Devreotes, P. N.: Cyclic 3′,5′ AMP relay in Dictyostelium discoideum III. The relationship of cAMP synthesis and secretion during the cAMP signaling response. J. Cell. Biol. 86, 537–544 (1980)Google Scholar
- 6.Dinauer, M. C., Steck, T. L., Devreotes, P. N.: Cyclic 3′5′ AMP relay in Dictyostelium discoideum IV. Recovery of the cAMP signaling response after adaptation to cAMP. J. Cell. Biol. 86, 545–553 (1980)Google Scholar
- 7.Dinauer, M. C., Steck, T. L., Devreotes, P. N.: Cyclic 3′5′ AMP relay in Dictyostelium discoideum V. Adaptation of the cAMP signaling response during cAMP stimulation. J. Cell. Biol. 86, 554–561 (1980)Google Scholar
- 8.Doedel, E.: AUTO: Software for continuation and bifurcation problems in ordinary differential equations. Technical Report, California Institute of Technology (1986)Google Scholar
- 9.Pate Elwood, E. F., Othmer, D. and H. G.: mPDE dramatically affects cAMP levels near aggregating D. dictyostelium cells. Preprint (1985)Google Scholar
- 10.Gerisch, G., Wick, U.: Intracellular oscillations and release of cyclic AMP from Dictyostelium cells. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 65, 364–370 (1975)Google Scholar
- 11.Gingle, A. R.: Critical density for relaying in Dictyostelium discoideum and its relation to phosphodiesterase secretion into the extracellular medium. J. Cell Sci. 20, 1–20 (1976)Google Scholar
- 12.Monk, P. B., Othmer, H. G.: Cyclic AMP oscillations in suspensions of Dictyostelium discoideum. Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. (Lond.), to appearGoogle Scholar
- 13.Nanjundiah, V., Malchow, D.: A theoretical study of the effects of cyclic AMP phosphodiesterases during aggregation in Dictyostelium. J. Cell. Sci. 22, 49–58 (1976)Google Scholar
- 14.Othmer, H. G., Monk, P. B.: Concentration waves in aggregation fields of a cellular slime mold. In: Ricciardi, L. (ed.) Biomathematics and related computational problems. Dordrecht: Reidel, to appearGoogle Scholar
- 15.Othmer, H.G., Monk, P.B., Rapp, P.E.: A model for signal relay and adaptation in Dictyostelium discoideum. Part II. Analytical and numerical results. Math. Biosci. 77, 77–139 (1985)Google Scholar
- 16.Raman, R. K., Hashimoto, Y., Cohen, M. H., Robertson, A.: Differentiation for aggregation in the cellular slime molds: The emergence of autonomously signalling cells in Dictyostelium discoideum. J. Cell. Sci. 21, 243–259 (1976)Google Scholar
- 17.Rapp, P. E., Monk, P. B., Othmer, H. G.: A model for signal relay and adaptation in Dictyostelium discoideum. Part I. Biological processes and the model network. Math. Biosci. 77, 35–78 (1985)Google Scholar
- 18.Robertson, A., Drage, D. J.: Stimulation of late interphase Dictyostelium discoideum amoebae with an external cyclic AMP pulse. Biophys. J. 15, 765–775 (1975)Google Scholar
- 19.Tomchik, K. J., Devreotes, P. N.: Adenosine 3′-5′-monophosphate waves in Dictyostelium discoideum: a demonstration by isotope dilution-fluorography. Science 212, 443–446 (1981)Google Scholar