Accumulation of Tc-99m phosphonate complexes in metastatic lesions from colon and lung carcinomas
- 21 Downloads
Cases are presented in which Tc-99m methylene diphosphonate accumulated in a lung metastasis from well differentiated adenocarcinoma of the colon, and in a hepatic metastasis from oat cell carcinoma of the lung. To our knowledge, this is the first report of Tc-99m phosphonate complexes concentrated in a pulmonary metastasis of colonic carcinoma or in a hepatic metastasis of oat cell lung carcinoma. The exact mechanism for this non-osseous uptake of bone scanning agents is still unknown.
KeywordsCarcinoma Cell Carcinoma Adenocarcinoma Nuclear Medicine Lung Metastasis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alfrey, A.C., Solomons, C.C., Cirillo, J., Miller, N.L.: Extraosseous calcification: Evidence of abnormal pyrophosphate metabolism in uremia. J. Clin. Invest. 57, 692–695 (1976)Google Scholar
- Chaudhuri, T.K., Chaudhuri, T.K., Christie, J.H.: Tumor uptake of Tc-99m polyphosphonate: Its similarity with Sr-87m citrate and dissimilarity with Ga-67 citrate. J. Nucl. Med. 15, 458–459 (1974)Google Scholar
- Garcia, A.C., Yeh, S.D.J., Benua, R.S.: Accumulation of bone-seeking radionuclides in liver metastasis from colon carcinoma. Clin. Nucl. Med. 2, 265–269 (1977)Google Scholar
- McLaughlin, A.F.: Uptake of Tc-99m bone scanning agent by lungs with metastatic calcification. J. Nucl. Med. 16, 322–323 (1975)Google Scholar
- Raghavendra, B.N., McCauley, D.I., Passalaqua, A.M., Braunstein, P.: Bone scanning in metastatic calcification to the lungs. Clin. Nucl. Med. 2, 272–273 (1977)Google Scholar
- Robbins, S.L.: Cell injury and cell death. In: Pathologic basis of disease, pp. 51–52. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Co. 1974Google Scholar
- Schultz, M.M., Morales, J.O., Fishbein, P.G., Steinberg, A.J.: Bilateral breast uptake of Tc-99m polyphosphate in a patient with metastatic adeno-carcinoma. Radiology 118, 377–378 (1976)Google Scholar
- Wilkinson, R.H., Gaede, J.T.: Concentration of Tc-99m methylene diphosphate in hepatic metastases from squamous cell carcinoma. J. Nucl. Med. 20, 303–305 (1979)Google Scholar