Phage P22-mutants with increased or decreased transduction abilities
- 483 Downloads
The properties of mutants of the Salmonella phage P22 are described which show decreased or increased frequencies for generalized transduction. It is shown that not only the markers used for detection of the mutants are affected by the mutation but also other markers tested. Evidence is presented that the altered T/P-ratios reflect changes in the actual numbers of transducing particles and that other factors like integration in the recipient cells cannot account for these alterations. Quantitative estimations of the amount of bacterial DNA converted to transducing fragments are shown for several phage mutants. Difficulties in the isolation procedure are discussed.
KeywordsQuantitative Estimation Actual Number Isolation Procedure Recipient Cell Generalize Transduction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Enomoto, M.: Composition of chromosome fragments participating in phage P22-mediated transduction of fla-H1-mot loci in S. typhimurium. Ann. Rept. Natl. Inst. Genetics, Japan, 16, 91–92 (1965).Google Scholar
- Ozeki, H.: Abortive transduction in purine-requiring mutants of Salmonella typhimurium. Carnegie Inst. Wash. Publ. 612, 97–106 (1956).Google Scholar
- Ozeki, H.: Chromosome fragments participating in transduction in Salmonella typhimurium. Genetics 44, 457–470 (1959).Google Scholar
- Pearce, V., Stocker, B. A. D.: Variation in composition of chromosome fragments transduced by phage P22. Virology 27, 290–296 (1965).Google Scholar
- Roth, J. R., Hartman, P. E.: Heterogeneity in P22 transducing particles. Virology 27, 297–307 (1965).Google Scholar
- Sanderson, K. E.: Current linkage map of Salmonella typhimurium. Bact. Rev. 34, 176–193 (1970).Google Scholar
- Schmieger, H.: Die molekulare Struktur transduzierender Partikel beim Salmonella-Phagen P22. I. Dichtegradienten-Untersuchungen an intakten Phagen. Molec. gen. Genet. 102, 336–347 (1968).Google Scholar
- Schmieger, H.: The molecular structure of the transducing particles of Salmonella-phage P22. II. Density gradient analysis of DNA. Molec. gen. Genet. 109, 323–337 (1970).Google Scholar
- Schmieger, H.: The fate of the bacterial chromosome in P22-infected cells of Salmonella typhimurium. Molec. gen. Genet. 110, 238–244 (1971a).Google Scholar
- Schmieger, H.: A method for detection of phage mutants with altered transducing ability. Molec. gen. Genet. 110, 378–381 (1971b).Google Scholar
- Stocker, B. A. D.: Abortive transduction of mobility in Salmonella: a nonreplicated gene transmitted through many generations to a single descendant. J. gen. Microbiol. 15, 575–598 (1956).Google Scholar