The production of somatic hybrids by protoplast fusion in the moss, Physcomitrella patens
- 313 Downloads
A technique has been developed for the isolation of large numbers of protoplasts from protonemal tissue of Physcomitrella patens, and for their regeneration to give whole plants. Somatic hybrids have been selected following treatment of mixtures of protoplasts from complementary auxotrophic strains with 50 mM CaCl2 at high pH. The hybrids have a morphology different from that of normal haploid strains, but similar to that of aposporously produced diploids. The progeny resulting from selffertilisation of the hybrids show a segregation which is consistent with their being the products of meioses in an autotetraploid.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anne, J., Peberdy, J.F.: Induced fusion of fungal protoplasts following treatment with polythylene glycol. J. gen. Microbiol. 92, 413–417 (1976)Google Scholar
- Ashton, N.W.: Genetic studies on auxotrophic and developmental mutants in the moss, Physcomitrella patens. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Cambridge, 1974Google Scholar
- Ashton, N.W., Cove, D.J.: The isolation and preliminary characterisation of auxotrophic and analogue resistant mutants of the moss, Physcomitrella patens. Molec. gen. Genet. 154, 87–95 (1977)Google Scholar
- Bopp, M., Jahn, H., Klein, B.: Eine einfache Methode, das Substrat während der Entwicklung von Moosprotonemen zu wechseln. Rev. Bryol. Lichen. 33, 219–223 (1964)Google Scholar
- Carlson, P.S., Smith, H.H., Dearing, R.D.: Parasexual interspecific plant hybridisation. Proc. nat. Acad. Sci. (Wash.) 69, 2292–2294 (1972)Google Scholar
- Engel, P.P.: The induction of biochemical and morphological mutants in the moss Physcomitrella patens. Amer. J. Bot. 55, 438–446 (1968)Google Scholar
- Ferenczy, L., Kevei, F., Szegedin, M.: High frequency fusion of fungal protoplasts. Experientia (Basel) 31, 1028–1030 (1975)Google Scholar
- Kao, K.N., Michayluk, M.R.: A method for high-frequency intergeneric fusion of plant protoplasts. Planta (Berl.) 115, 355–367 (1974)Google Scholar
- Keller, W.A., Melchers, G.: The effect of high pH and calcium on tobacco leaf protoplast fusion. Z. Naturforsch. 28c, 737–741 (1973)Google Scholar
- Melchers, G., Labib, G.: Somatic hybridisation of plant by fusion of protoplasts. 1. Selection of light resistant hybrids of “haploid” light sensitive varieties of tobacco. Molec. gen. Genet. 135, 277–294 (1974)Google Scholar
- Schieder, O.: Selection of a somatic hybrid between auxotrophic mutants of Sphaerocarpos donnelli AUST. using the method of protoplast fusion. Z. Pflanzenphysiol. 74, 357–365 (1974)Google Scholar
- Stumm, I., Meyer, Y., Abel, W.O.: Regeneration of the moss Physcomitrella patens (Hedw.) from isolated protoplasts. Plant Sci. Letters 5, 113–118 (1975)Google Scholar