Production of 2,3-butanediol by Klebsiella oxytoca
- 104 Downloads
High glucose concentrations result in high levels of 2,3-butanediol, improved yield and productivity, and a decrease in cell growth in batch cultures of Klebsiella oxytoca. A maximum of 84.2 g butanediol/l and a yield of 0.5 was obtained with an initial glucose concentration of 262.6g/l. Adding the substrate in two steps in a modified fed-batch operation resulted in 85.5 g butanediol/l, 6.4 g acetoin/l and 3.4 g ethanol/l with a net yield of 0.5. Increasing the cell density to 60g/l resulted in productivities as high as 3.22 g/l.h.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- de Mas C, Jansen NB, Tsao GT (1988) Production of optically active 2,3-butanediol by Bacillus polymyxa. Biotechnol Bioeng 31:366–377Google Scholar
- Fond O, Jansen NB, Tsao GT (1985) A model of acetic acid and 2,3-butanediol inhibition of the growth and metabolism of Klebsiella oxytoca. Biotechnol Lett 7:727–732Google Scholar
- Jansen NB, Tsao GT (1983) Bioconversion of pentoses to 2,3butanediol by Klebsiella oxytoca. Adv Biochem Eng Biotechnol 27:85–99Google Scholar
- Jansen NB, Flickinger MC, Tsao GT (1984a) Application of bioenergetic to modeling the microbial conversion of d-xylose to 2,3-butanediol. Biotechnol Bioeng, 26:573–582Google Scholar
- Jansen NB, Flickinger MC, Tsao GT (1984b) Production of 2,3-butanediol from d-xylose by Klebsiella oxytoca ATCC 8724. Biotechnol Bioeng 26:362–369Google Scholar
- Ledingham GA, Neish AC (1954) In: Underkofler LA, Hickey RJ (eds) Industrial fermentations, vol. 2. Chemical Publishing Co., New York pp 27–91Google Scholar
- Magee RJ, Kosaric N (1987) The microbial production of 2,3-butanediol. Adv Appl Microbiol 32:89–161Google Scholar
- Qureshi N, Cheryan M (1988) Effect of aeration on 2,3-butanediol production from glucose by Klebsiella oxytoca. J Ferment Technol (in press)Google Scholar
- Qureshi N, Cheryan M (1989) Effect of lactic acid on the production of 2,3-butanediol by Klebsiella oxytoca. J Indust Microbiol (in press)Google Scholar
- Sablayrolles JM, Goma G (1984) Butandiol production by Aerobacter aerogenes NRRL B-199. Effects of initial substrate concentration and aeration-agitation. Biotechnol Bioeng 26:148–155Google Scholar