Bounded quantification and relations recognizable by finite automata
- 33 Downloads
The concept of inverse well-known for homomorphisms and gsm-mappings is extended to any language operation. The class IRP of language operations whose inverse preserves regularity is considered. As an application a necessary and sufficient condition is established for the class of relations recognizable by finite automata to be closed under different versions of bounded quantification.
KeywordsInformation System Operating System Data Structure Communication Network Information Theory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Eilenberg, S.: Automata, languages and machines, Vol. A. New York: Academic Press 1974Google Scholar
- 2.Ottmann, Th.: Mit regulären Grundbegriffen definierbare Prädikate. Computing 14, 213–223 (1975)Google Scholar
- 3.Smullyan, R.: Formal systems. Princeton University Press 1961Google Scholar
- 4.Stearns, R.E., Hartmanis, J.: Regularity preserving modifications of regular expressions. Information and Control 6, 55–69 (1963)Google Scholar
- 5.Wrathall, C.: Subrecursive predicates and automata. Doctoral Thesis, Yale University, October 1975Google Scholar