Beta-2-microglobulin excretion: An indicator of long term nephrotoxicity during cis-platinum treatment?
To evaluate the value of beta-2-microglobulin as an indicator of acute and long-term cis-platinum-induced nephrotoxicity, 51Cr-EDTA clearance and serum concentration and urinary excretion of beta-2-microglobulin were measured in 18 patients treated with a regimen, including cis-platinum. Before treatment all values were within the normal range. During treatment 51Cr-EDTA clearance decreased from 108 to 90 ml/min/1.73 m2 (P<0.02). The decrease was irreversible, while a transient 2 to 5-fold increase in beta-2-microglobulin excretion in the urine was seen during treatment. Serum beta-2-microglobulin remained unchanged. The decrease in 51Cr-EDTA clearance was not correlated to either the peak increase in the beta-2-microglobulin excretion or to the time of occurrence of the peak (R=0.3). Thus, it is not possible to predict the long-term nephrotoxicity of cis-platinum by measuring the beta-2-microglobulin excretion during treatment.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cohen AI, Harberg J, Citrin DL (1981) Measurement of urinary beta-2-microglobulin in the detection of cisplatin nephrotoxicity. Cancer Treat Rep 65:1083Google Scholar
- 2.Cooper EH, Plesner T (1980) Beta-2-microglobulin review: Its relevance in clinical oncology. Med Pediatr Oncol 8:23Google Scholar
- 3.Dentino M, Luft FC, Yum MN, Williams SD, Einhorn LH (1978) Long-term effect of cis-diamminedichloride platinum (CDDP) on renal function and structure in man. Cancer 41:1274Google Scholar
- 4.Einhorn LH, Donohue J (1977) cis-Diamminedichloroplatinum, vinblastine, and bleomycin combination chemotherapy, in disseminated testicular cancer. Am J Intern Med 87:293Google Scholar
- 5.Flemming JJ, Collis C, Peckham MJ (1979) Renal damage after cis-platinum. Lancet p 960Google Scholar
- 6.Frick GA, Ballentine R, Driever CW, Kramer WG (1979) Renal excretion kinetics of high-dose cis-dichlorodiammineplatinum (II) administered with hydration and mannitol diuresis. Cancer Treat Rep 63:13Google Scholar
- 7.Gonzalez-Vitale JC, Hayes DM, Cvitkovic E, Sternberg SS (1977) The renal pathology in clinical trials of cis-platinum (II) diamminedichloride. Cancer 39:1362Google Scholar
- 8.Groth S, Aasted M (1981) 51Cr-EDTA clearance determined by one plasma sample. Clin Physiol 1:417Google Scholar
- 9.Hardaker WT, Stone RA, McCory R (1974) Platinum nephrotoxicity. Cancer 34:1030Google Scholar
- 10.Jensen KB (1967) Immunochemical determination of serum concentrations of albumin, IgG and IgM. In: Peters H (ed) Protides of the biological fluids, vol 14. Elsevier, Amsterdam, p 667Google Scholar
- 11.Jones BR, Bhalla RB, Mladek J, et al. (1980) Comparison of methods of evaluating nephrotoxicity of cis-platinum. Clin Pharmacol Ther 27:557Google Scholar
- 12.Meijer S, Sleijer DTH, Mulder NH et al. (1983) Some effects of combination chemotherapy with cis-platinum on renal function in patients with nonseminomatous testicular carcinoma. Cancer 51:2035Google Scholar
- 13.Plesner T (1980) Immunochemical studies of human beta-2-microglobulin. Allergy 35:627Google Scholar
- 14.Prestayko AW, D'Aoust JC, Issell BF, Crooke ST (1979) Cisplatin. Cancer Teat Rep 6:17Google Scholar
- 15.Sørensen PG, Groth S, Rossing N (1983) The leakage of plasma albumin across small vessel walls during bleomycin treatment. Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol 19:29Google Scholar