Three methods for isolating viable anthozoan endoderm cells with their intracellular symbiotic dinoflagellates
Three maceration methods are described for the isolation of single endoderm cells from marine cnidarians. Two are enzymatic treatments suitable for fleshy anthozoans such as sea anemones and zoanthids. The third employs calcium free sea water and is suitable for stony corals. The viability and morphology of the endoderm cells is described using fluorogenic dyes and scanning and transmission electron microscopy.
KeywordsCalcium Microscopy Electron Microscopy Transmission Electron Microscopy Dinoflagellate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- David CN (1983) Dissociating Hydra tissue into single cells by the maceration technique. In: Lenhoff HM (ed) Hydra: research methods. Plenum, New York, pp 153–156Google Scholar
- Harvey HW (1957) The chemistry and fertility of sea waters, 2nd edn. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, p 113Google Scholar
- Hertwig O, Hertwig R (1879) Die Actinien anatomisch und histologisch. Fischer, Jena, p 244Google Scholar
- Maurer A, Gonzales-Agosti R, Condrau M, Tardent P (1989) Isolation of cell types of Hydra by flow sorting. 5th Int Conf Coel Biol, p 85 (abstr)Google Scholar
- Muscatine L (1973) Nutrition of corals. In: Jones OA, Endean R (eds) Biology and geology of coral reefs. Academic Press, New York, pp 77–115Google Scholar
- Nation JL (1983) A new method using hexamethyldisilazane for preparation of soft insect tissues for scanning electron microscopy. Stain Tech 56:347–351Google Scholar
- ODell TJ, Christensen BN (1989) Horiziontal cells isolated from catfish retina contain two types of excitatory amino acid receptors. J Neurophysiol 61:1097–1109Google Scholar
- Ohtani O (1988) Three-dimensional organization of the collagen fibrillar framework of the human and rat liver. Arch Histol Cytol 51:473–488Google Scholar
- Reynolds CP, Black AT, Woody JN (1986) Sensitive method for detecting viable cells seeded into bone marrow. Cancer Res 46:5878–5881Google Scholar
- Schupp DG, Erlandsen SL (1987) A new method to determine Giardia cyst viability: correlation of fluorescein diacetate and propidium iodide staining and animal infectivity. Appl Environ Microbiol 53:704–707Google Scholar
- Trench RK (1987) Dinoflagellates in non-parasitic symbiosis. In: Taylor FJR (ed) Biology of dinoflagellates. Blackwell, Oxford London, pp 530–570Google Scholar