A new expression vector for the production of fused proteins in Escherichia coli
The construction of a new expression vector for fused proteins production in Escherichia coli is reported. This new vehicle uses the trp promoter-operator control region for the high level expression of a DNA fragment that codes for the amino terminal fragment of the cI λ repressor protein. This truncated polypeptide is accumulated as inclusion bodies that are easily purified. To probe the benefits of the system, synthetic DNA that codes for the human insulin B chain, was cloned at the end of the DNA coding region for the cI truncated peptide. The hybrid peptide thus produced after induction, allowed an easy and reproducible purification of active insulin B chain.
KeywordsPeptide Escherichia Coli Polypeptide Expression Vector Protein Production
polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Backman K, Ptashne M, Gilbert W (1976) Construction of plasmids carrying the cI gene of bacteriophage λ. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 73: 4174–4178Google Scholar
- Goeddel DV, Kleid DG, Bolivar F, Heyneker HL, Yansura DG, Crea R, Hirose T, Kraszewski A, Itakura K, Riggs AD (1979) Expression in Escherichia coli of chemically synthesized genes for human insulin. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 76:106–110Google Scholar
- Harris TJR (1983) Expression of eukaryotic genes in E. coli. In: R. Williamson (ed) Genetic Engineering. Academic Press, NY, pp 127–183Google Scholar
- Itakura K, Hirose T, Crea R, Riggs A, Heyneker H, Bolivar F, Boyer H (1977) Expression in Escherichia coli of a chemical synthesized gene for the hormone somatostatin. Science 198:1056–1063Google Scholar
- Ladron de Guevara O, Estrada G, Antonio S, Alvarado X, Guereca L, Zamudio F, Bolivar F (1985) Identification and isolation of human insulin A and B chains by high-performance liquid chromatography. J Chromat 349:91–98Google Scholar
- Maniatis T, Fritsch EF, Sambrook J (1982) Molecular cloning, a laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. Cold Spring Harbor, NYGoogle Scholar
- Meager RB, Tait RC, Betlach MC, Boyer MW (1977) Protein expression in E. coli minicells by recombinant plasmids. Cell 10:521–536Google Scholar
- Pabo CO, Sauer RT, Sturtevant JM, Ptashne M (1979) λ repressor contains two domains. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 76:1608–1611Google Scholar
- Roberts JW, Roberts CW (1975) Proteolytic cleavage of bacteriophage lambda repressor in induction. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 72:147–151Google Scholar
- Schoner RG, Ellis LF, Schoner BE (1985) Isolation and purification of protein granules from Escherichia coli cells overproducing bovine growth hormone. Bio/Technology 3:151–154Google Scholar
- Tacon WCA, Bonass WA, Jenkins B, Emtage JS (1983) Expression plasmid vectors containing Escherichia coli tryptophan promoter transcriptional units lacking the attenuator. Gene 23:255–265Google Scholar