How valid is Cruziana Stratigraphy?
The stratigraphic value of trilobite burrows has recently been questioned because of a seemingly Ordovician form in the Lower Cambrian of Canada. Closer examination shows, however, that the Cambrian homeomorph (Cruziana pectinata n. sp.) has a significantly different scratch pattern. This raises the question whether the multiple scratches of the Ordovician Cruziana rugosa were also made by exopodites or by similarly shaped endopodites.
Key wordsTrilobites Trace fossils Cambrian Ordovician Stratigraphy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bergström J (1972) Appendage morphology of the trilobite Cryptolithus and its implications. Lethaia 5 (1): 85–94Google Scholar
- Bergström J (1973) Organization, life and systematics of trilobites. Fossils and Strata 2: 1–69Google Scholar
- Bergström J, Peel JS (1988) Lower Cambrian trace fossils from Northern Greenland. Rapp Grönlands Geol Unders 137: 43–53Google Scholar
- Jensen S (1990) Predation by early Cambrian trilobites on infaunal worms-evidence from the Swedish Mickwitzia Sandstone. Lethaia 23: 29–42Google Scholar
- Magwood JPA, Pemberton SG (1990) Stratigraphic significance of Cruziana: New data concerning the Cambrian-Ordovician ichnostratigraphic paradigm. Geology 18: 729–732Google Scholar
- McMenamin MAS, McMenamin DLS (1990) The Emergence of Animals: the Cambrian Breakthrough. Columbia University Press, New York, 217 ppGoogle Scholar
- Seilacher A (1970) Cruziana stratigraphy of “non-fossiliferous” Paleozoic sandstones. In: Crimes TP, Harper JC (eds) Trace Fossils. Geol J Spec Issue 3: 447–476Google Scholar
- Seilacher A (1990) Paleozoic trace fossils. In: Said R (ed) The Geology of Egypt. Balkema, Rotterdam, pp 1565–1581Google Scholar
- Seilacher A (1992) An updated Cruziana Stratigraphy of Gondwanan Paleozoic sandstones. In: Salem MS (ed) The Geology of Libya. Part 8. Elsevier, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- Seilacher A (1993) Problems of correlation in the Nubian Sandstone Facies. In: Thorweihe U, Schandelmeier H (eds) Geoscientiflc Research in Northeast Africa. Balkema, RotterdamGoogle Scholar
- Seilacher A, Crimes TP (1969) “European” species of trilobite burrows in Eastern Newfoundland. Mem Am Assoc Petrol Geol 12: 145–148Google Scholar
- Seilacher A, Pflüger F. From biomats to endo-benthic agriculture: a biohistoric trend, in pressGoogle Scholar