Rapid propagation through shoot tip culture of Trichopus zeylanicus Gaertn., a rare ethnomedicinal plant
Rapid micropropagation of Trichopus zeylanicus Gaertn. subsp. travancoricus Burkil ex Narayanan, a rare ethnomedicinal herb endemic to the Western Ghats of southern India, was achieved by culturing shoot tips (0.3–0.5 cm) of 2-month-old axenic seedlings on Woody Plant Medium. Among the cytokinins tested, only BAP induced callus-free multiple shoot bud formation, with a maximum of 8.5±0.4 buds per explant being obtained with 2.0 mg.l−1 BAP after 8 weeks of culture. Shoot tips containing proliferated buds were divided and subcultured on medium containing 0.2 mg.l−1 BAP to produce 12.0±1.0 shoots per explant in 6 weeks. Excision of buds after culture initiation, with subculture of the debudded basal tissue in 2 successive passages yielded 20.0±1.0 and 13.5±0.5 buds per explant respectively. Each bud cultured in turn for 4 weeks on WPM with 1.0 mg.l−1 BAP formed 3.8±0.4 secondary buds which were repeatedly recultured to increase bud production. Altogether this method enabled an estimated harvest of 7848 buds from a single shoot tip in 28 months. Shoots (3–5 cm) developed from bud cultures were rooted in half-strength WPM medium with 0.5 mg.l−1 each of NAA and IBA, and 90–100% of the rooted plants were established in the field after hardening. Micropropagated plants were grown to maturity free of defects in growth, morphological, flowering and seed set characteristics.
Woody Plant Medium (Lloyd and `McCown 1980)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arora R, Bhojwani SS (1989) Plant Cell Rep 8: 44–47Google Scholar
- Asokan MP, O'Hair SK, Litz RE (1984) Hortscience 19: 885–996Google Scholar
- Chaturvedi HC, Misra P, Jaina M (1984) Plant Sci Lett 35: 67–71Google Scholar
- Demeke T, Hughes HG (1990) Plant Cell Rep 9: 390–392Google Scholar
- Han K, Stephens LC (1987) Scientia Hort 32: 307–313Google Scholar
- Lloyd G, McCown B (1980) Proc Intl Plant Prop Soc 30: 421–425Google Scholar
- Palta MA (1982) Plant Sci Lett 26: 1–11Google Scholar
- Murashige T, Skoog T (1962) Physiol Plant 15: 473–497Google Scholar
- Pushpangadan P, Rajasekharan S, Ratheesh Kumar PK, Jawahar CR, Velayudhan Nair V, Lakshmi N, Saradamma L (1988) Ancient Science of Life VIII: 13–16Google Scholar
- Sharma AK, Pushpangadan P, Chopra CL, Rajasekharan S, Saradamma L (1989) Ancient Science of Life VIII: 212–219Google Scholar
- Sudha CG, Seeni S (1994) Plant Cell Rep 13: 203–207Google Scholar
- Ziv M (1989) Plant Cell Tiss Org Cult 17: 101–110Google Scholar