Effect of calcium, manganese and lithium on growth and cardenolide content in cell suspension cultures of Digitalis thapsi L.
- 52 Downloads
Cell suspension cultures of Digitalis thapsi were grown in Murashige and Skoog medium under continuous light. The effects of the absence of CaCl2, elevation of the MnSO4 concentration from 0.1 mM to 5 mM or the addition of 100 μM LiCl on their growth and digoxin production were investigated. The elimination of calcium reduced growth and viability of cultures but promoted digoxin formation. An increase of the MnSO4 concentration or the addition of LiCl resulted in higher digoxin content. Under such conditions growth was not affected.
KeywordsCalcium Lithium Manganese CaCl2 Condition Growth
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Borralho da Graça JA (1967) Aspectos morfológico farmacodinámico e quimico de exemplares portugueses de Digitalis thapsi L. Boletín da Escola Superior de Farmacia, vol IX, Universidade de LisboaGoogle Scholar
- Chaterjee SK, Nandi RP (1987) Glycoside formation in Digitalis lanata Ehr. leaves with special reference to growth hormones and mineral nutrients treatments In: Proc Symp 14th Bot Congr, Berlin, pp 128–133Google Scholar
- Corchete MP, Sánchez JM, Cacho M, Morán M, Fernández-Tárrago J (1990) Cardenolide content in suspension cultures derived from root and leaf callus of Digitalis thapsi. J Plant Physiol 137: 196–200Google Scholar
- Grinkevich NI, Sorokina AA (1983) Role of environmental geochemical factors in the production of biologically active substances by plants. In: Kovalskii VV, Vorotnitskaya IE (eds) Biological role of microelements. Nauka, Moscow, URSS, pp 187–192Google Scholar
- Hagimori M, Matsumoto T, Kisaki T (1980) Studies on the production of Digitalis cardenolides by plant tissue culture: I. Determination of digitoxin and digoxin contents in first and second passage calli and organ redifferentiating calli of several Digitalis species by radioimmunoassay. Plant Cell Physiol 21: 1391–1404Google Scholar
- Hagimori M, Matsumoto T, Obi Y (1983) Effects of mineral salts, initial pH and precursors of digitoxin formation by shoot-forming cultures of Digitalis purpurea L. Agric Biol Chem 47: 565–571Google Scholar
- Letchamo W (1986) Effect of the trace elements manganese and molybdenum on the leaf yield and content of cardiac glucosides in foxglove Digitalis grandiflora Mill. Acta Horticulturae 188: 215–220Google Scholar
- Mascré M, Lefrançois A (1931) Bull Sci Pharmacol 38: 544Google Scholar
- Murashige T, Skoog F (1962) A revised medium for rapid growth bioassay with tobacco tissue cultures Physiol Plant 15: 473–497Google Scholar
- Ohlsson AB, Berglund T (1989) Effects of high MnSO4 levels on cardenolide accumulation by Digitalis lanata tissue cultures in light and darkness. J Plant Physiol 135: 505–507Google Scholar
- Ohlsson AB, Bjork L, Gatenbeck S (1983) Effect of light on cardenolide production by Digitalis lanata tissue cultures. Phytochemistry 22: 2447–2450Google Scholar