Quantitative trait loci for plant height in four maize populations and their associations with qualitative genetic loci
- 733 Downloads
We report that plant height quantitative trait loci (QTLs) identified in a given small population are not consistent with QTLs identified in other small populations, and that most QTLs are in close proximity to mapped qualitative genetic loci. These observations provide evidence to support the hypothesis that qualitative genetic loci are the same loci that affect quantitative traits, and affirm that these modest experiments probably identify real QTLs.
Key wordsZea mays L. Molecular markers Restriction fragment length polymorphisms (RFLPs) Quantitative trait loci (QTLs)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beavis WD, Grant D (1991) A maize linkage map based on information from four segregating populations. Theor Appl GenetGoogle Scholar
- Emerson RA (1912) The inheritance of certain “abnormalities” in maize. Am Breeders Assoc Ann Rep 8:385–399Google Scholar
- Falconer DS (1981) Introduction to quantitative genetics, 2nd edn. Langman Group, Harlow, UK, pp 230–238Google Scholar
- Hallauer AR, Miranda FO (1981) Quantitative genetics in maize breeding. Iowa State University Press, Ames/IA, pp 348–351Google Scholar
- Jensen J (1989) Estimation of recombination parameters between a quantitative trait locus (QTL) and two marker gene loci. Theor Appl Genet 78:613–618Google Scholar
- Kempthorne O (1957) An introduction to genetic statistics. Iowa State University Press, Ames/IA, pp 318–325Google Scholar
- Robertson DS (1985) A possible technique for isolating genomic DNA for quantitative traits in plants. J Theor Biol 117:1–10Google Scholar
- Sambrook J, Fritsch EF, Maniatis T (1989) Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor/NYGoogle Scholar
- Sheridan WF (1988) Maize developmental genetics: genes of morphogenesis. Annu Rev Genet 22:353–385Google Scholar
- Soller M, Brody T, Genizi A (1976) On the power of experimental designs for the detection of linkage between marker loci and quantitative loci in crosses between inbred lines. Theor Appl Genet 47:35–39Google Scholar