Immunocytochemical evidence for the presence of oxytocin in rat testis
- 39 Downloads
The presence of oxytocin, vasopressin and neurophysin in the testis of adult Wistar and Brattleboro rats has been examined immunocytochemically. After fixation in modified Bouin's solution, or Bouin's sublimate fixative, immunostaining was accomplished with the peroxidase-antiperoxidase method. The presence of immunoreactive oxytocin was demonstrated in 80% of the interstitial cell population of both rat strains while no staining was observed for vasopressin or neurophysin.
Key wordsOxytocin Vasopressin Neuropeptide Testis Rat
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Guldenaar SEF, Wathes DC, Pickering BT (1984) Immunocytochemical evidence for the presence of oxytocin and neurophysin in the large cells of the bovine corpus luteum. Cell Tissue Res 237:349–352Google Scholar
- Knorr DW, Vanha-Pertulla T, Lipsett MB (1970) Structure and function of rat testis through pubescence. Endocrinology 86:1298–1304Google Scholar
- Nicholson HD, Swann RW, Burford GD, Wathes DC, Porter DG, Pickering BT (1984) More steroidogenic tissues containing oxytocin and vasopressin: human testis and fetal adrenal. Regul Pept 8:141–146Google Scholar
- Sofroniew MV, Schrell U (1982) Long-term storage and regular repeated use of diluted antisera in glass staining jars for increased sensitivity, reproducibility, and convenience of singleand two-color light microscopic immunocytochemistry. JHistochem Cytochem 30:504–511Google Scholar
- Sternberger L (1979) Immunocytochemistry, 2nd ed. John Wiley and Sons, New York, Chichester, Brisbane, TorontoGoogle Scholar
- Swaab DF, Pool CW (1975) Specificity of oxytocin and vasopressin immunofluorescence. J Endocrinol 66:263–272Google Scholar
- Swann RW, O'Shaughnessy PJ, Birkett SD, Wathes DC, Porter DG, Pickering BT (1984) Biosynthesis of oxytocin in the corpus luteum. FEBS Lett 174:262–266Google Scholar
- Wathes DC, Swann RW (1982) Is oxytocin an ovarian hormone? Nature 297:225–227Google Scholar
- Watkins WB (1983) Immunohistochemical localization of neurophysin and oxytocin in the sheep corpora lutea. Neuropeptides 7:51–54Google Scholar