Role of the “thrombocytoids” in capsule formation in the dipteran Calliphora erythrocephala
Of the three hemocyte types present in the blood of Calliphora, only one participates in capsule formation around implanted cellophane. This hemocyte, the thrombocytoid, shows in the blood a tendency to dissociate into numerous small cytoplasmic fragments, comparable to the mammalian megakaryocyte. This tendency is dramatically increased during the process of encapsulation. Most of the intact thrombocytoids and the numerous fragments participating in capsule formation do not show any particular modifications in their cytoplasm during this process, which corresponds to a mere sequestration of the implant. Dense material, resulting from necrotic cell debris and hemolymph lipoproteins, is often observed between the cellophane and encapsulating thrombocytoids, which apparently participate in the resorption of this material.
Key wordsInsects Hemocytes Capsules
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bréhelin, M., Hoffmann, J. A., Matz, G., Porte, A.: Encapsulation of implanted foreign bodies by hemocytes in Locusta migratoria and Melolontha melolontha Tissue and Cell (in press)Google Scholar
- Götz, P.: Die Einkapselung von Parasiten in der Hämolymphe von Chironomus Larven (Diptera). Verh. Zool. Ges., Zool. Anz., Suppl. 33, 610–617 (1969)Google Scholar
- Grégoire, C., Florkin, M.: Blood coagulation in arthropods. I. The coagulation of insect blood, as studied with the phase contrast microscope. Physiol. comp. 2, 126–139 (1950)Google Scholar
- Jones, J. C.: The hemocytes of Sarcophaga bullata (Parker). J. Morph. 99, 233–257 (1956)Google Scholar
- Nappi, A. J., Stoffolano, J. G., Jr.: Heterotylenchus autumnalis: Hemocytic reactions and capsule formation in the host, Musca domestica. Exp. Parasit. 29, 116–125 (1971)Google Scholar
- Nappi, A. J., Streams, F. A.: Haemocytic reactions of Drosophila melanogaster to the parasites Pseudocoila mellipes and P. bochei. J. Insect Physiol. 15, 1551–1566 (1969)Google Scholar
- Walker, I.: Die Abwehrreaktion des Wirtes Drosophila melanogaster gegen die zoophage Cynipide Pseudocoila bochei Weld. Rev. suisse Zool. 66, 569–632 (1959)Google Scholar
- Zachary, D., Hoffmann, J. A.: The haemocytes of Calliphora erythrocephala Meig. (Diptera). Z. Zellforsch. 141, 55–73 (1973)Google Scholar