Localization of the human insulin-like growth-factor-binding protein 4 gene to chromosomal region 17q12–21.1
Insulin-like growth-factor-binding proteins (IGFBPs) constitute a family of structurally related proteins that specifically bind insulin-like growth factors and modulate their functions. In this study, the chromosomal localization was determined for the gene encoding IGFBP4, i.e. inhibitory-IGFBP. A polymerase chain reaction (PCR) fragment corresponding to the previously published cDNA sequence was used to isolate overlapping cosmid clones. By fluorescent in situ hybridization to metaphase chromosomes, the IGFBP4 gene was then localized to chromosomal region 17q21–21.1. This result was in agreement with PCR analysis of a panel of somatic cell hybrids.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alitalo T, Kontula K, Koistinen R, Aalto-Setälä K, Julkunen M, Jänne OA, Seppälä M, Chapelle A de la (1989) The gene encoding human low-molecular weight insulin-like growth-factor binding protein (IGF-BP25): regional localization to 7p12–p13 and description of a DNA polymorphism. Hum Genet 83:335–338Google Scholar
- Berger SL, Kimmel AR (1987) Guide to molecular cloning techniques. Methods Enzymol 152:604–610Google Scholar
- Binkert C, Landwehr J, Mary J-L, Schwander J, Heinrich G (1989) Cloning, sequence analysis and expression of a cDNA encoding a novel insulin-like growth factor binding protein (IGFBP-2) EMBO J 8:2497–2502Google Scholar
- Ehrenborg E, Vilhelmsdotter S, Bajalica S, Larsson C, Stern I, Koch J, Brøndum-Nielsen K, Luthman H (1991a) Structure and localization of the human insulin-like growth factor-binding protein 2 gene. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 176:1250–1255Google Scholar
- Ehrenborg E, Larsson C, Stern I, Janson M, Powell DR, Luthman H (1991b) Contiguous localization of the genes encoding human insulin-like growth factor-binding proteins 1 and 3 on chromosome 7. Genomics 12:497–502Google Scholar
- Evans GA, Lewis K, Rothenberg BE (1989) High efficiency vectors for cosmid microcloning and genomic analysis. Gene 79:9–20Google Scholar
- La Tour D, Mohan S, Linkhart TA, Baylink DJ, Strong DD (1990) Inhibitory insulin-like growth factor-binding protein: cloning, complete sequence, and physiological regulation. Mol Endocrinol 4:1806–1814Google Scholar
- Lee Y-L, Hintz RL, James PM, Lee PDK, Shively JE, Powell DR (1988) Insulin-like growth factor (IGF) binding protein complementary deoxyribonucleic acid from human HepG2 hepatoma cells: predicted protein sequence suggests an IGF binding domain different from those of the IGF-I and IGF-II receptors. Mol Endocrinol 2:404–411Google Scholar
- Lichter P, Cremer T, Borden J, Manuelidis L, Ward DC (1988) Delineation of individual human chromosomes in metaphase and interphase cells by in situ supression hybridization using recombinant DNA libraries. Hum Genet 80:224–234Google Scholar
- McAlpine PJ, Shows TB, Boucheix C, Stranc LC, Berent TG, Pakstis AJ, Douté RC (1989) Report of the nomenclature committee and the 1989 catalog of mapped genes. (10th International Workshop on Human Gene Mapping) Cytogenet Cell Genet 51:13–66Google Scholar
- Pinkel D, Straume T, Gray JW (1986) Cytogenetic analysis using quantitative, high sensitivity, fluorescence hybridization. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 83:2934–2938Google Scholar
- Shimasaki S, Uchiyama F, Shimonaka M, Ling N (1990) Molecular cloning of the cDNAs encoding a novel insulin-like growth factor-binding from rat and human. Mol Endocrinol 4:1451–1458Google Scholar
- Wood WI, Cachianes G, Henzel WJ, Winslow GA, Spencer SA, Hellmiss R, Martin JL, Baxter RC (1988) Cloning and expression of the growth-hormone dependent insulin-like growth factor-binding protein. Mol Endocrinol 2:1176–1185Google Scholar