The cross-ply arrangement of collagen fibres in the submucosa of the mammalian small intestine
- 109 Downloads
Whole-mount preparations of the submucosa were made from the small intestine of rats, guinea-pigs, rabbits and sheep. In the distended intestine the collagen fibres ran straight and approximately parallel to the serosal surface. They formed a characteristic lattice, with two arrays of fibres running diagonally in a clockwise and an anticlockwise direction, and making an angle of 50°–55° with the longitudinal axis of the intestine. This collagenfibre lattice was flexible and changed with the movements of the intestinal wall; when the radial distension predominated, the angle between collagen fibres of the submucosa and longitudinal axis of the intestine increased to 60°–65°, and when the longitudinal distension predominated the angle decreased to about 30°.
Key wordsIntestine, small Collagen Submucosa Rat
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bloom W, Fawcett DW (1986) A Textbook of Histology. 11th edn. Saunders, Philadelphia, London, TorontoGoogle Scholar
- Clark RB, Cowey JB (1958) Factors controlling the change of shape of certain nemertean and turbellarian worms. J Exp Biol 35:731–748Google Scholar
- Cowey JB (1952) The structure and function of the basement membrane muscle system in Amphiporus lactifloreus (Nemertea). Q J Microsc Sci 93:1–15Google Scholar
- Davenport HW (1982) Physiology of the Digestive Tract. 5th edition. Year Book Medical Publishers, ChicagoGoogle Scholar
- Epstein EH, Munderloh NH (1975) Isolation and characterization of CNBr peptides of human [α1(III)]3 collagen and tissue distribution of [α1(I)]2 2 and [α1(III)]3 collagens. J Biol Chem 250:9304–9312Google Scholar
- Gabella G (1971) Neuron size and number in the myenteric plexus of the newborn and adult rat. J Anat (Lond) 109:81–95Google Scholar
- Gabella G (1983) The collagen fibrils in the collapsed and the chronically stretched intestinal wall. J Ultrastr Res 85:127–138Google Scholar
- Gray H (1973) Gray's Anatomy. 35th edn. R Warwick, PL Williams (eds) Longman, EdinburghGoogle Scholar
- Klein LR, ChandraRajan J (1977) Collagen degradation in rat skin but not in intestine during rapid growth: Effect on collagen types I and III from skin. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 74:1436–1439Google Scholar
- Rhodin JAG (1974) Histology. A Text and Atlas. Oxford University Press, New York, London, TorontoGoogle Scholar