Anatomical studies on ectomycorrhizas
- 97 Downloads
Ectomycorrhizas of 5-month-old Pinus patula plants grown in autoclaved shola soil (forest soil) inoculated with basidiospores of Amanita muscaria, Laccaria laccata and Suillus brevipes are described. The main em phasis is on the organisation of the mantle tissue as seen in plan view and features of associated hyphae and strands. The different layers in the mantle produced by the different fungi are described and illustrated.
Key wordsPinus patula Amanita muscaria Laccaria laccata Suillus brevipes Ectomycorrhizas Rhizomorphs Mantle structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bakshi BK (1974) Mycorrhiza and its role in forestry. (PL 480 Project Report) Forest Research Institute and Colleges, Dehra Dun, IndiaGoogle Scholar
- Chu-Chou M, Grace LJ (1983) Characterization and identification of mycorrhizas of Douglas fir in New Zealand. Eur J For Pathol 13:251–260Google Scholar
- Fassi B, Fontana A (1966) Researches on ectotrophic mycorrhizae of Pinus strobus in nurseries. II. Mycorrhizae of Telephora terrestris, Laccaria laccata and Hebeloma mesophaeum. Allionia 12:47–53Google Scholar
- Godbout C, Fortin JA (1985) Synthesized ectomycorrhizae of aspen: fungus/genus level of structural characterization. Can J Bot 63:252–262Google Scholar
- Last FT, Mason PA, Wilson J, Ingleby K, Munro RC, Fleming LV, Deacon JW (1985) ‘Epidemiology’ of sheating (ecto-) mycorrhizas in unsterile soils: a case study of Betula pendula. Proc R Soc Edinburgh 85:299–315Google Scholar
- Mohan V, Natarajan K, Ingleby K (1993) Anatomical studies on ectomycorrhizas. I. The ectomycorrhizas produced by Telephora terrestris on Pinus patula. Mycorrhiza 3:39–42Google Scholar
- Palm ME, Stewart EL (1984) In-vitro synthesis of mycorrhizae between presumed specific and non-specific Pinus + Suillus combinations. Mycologia 76:579–600Google Scholar
- Riffle JW (1973) Pure culture synthesis of ectomycorrhizae on Pinus ponderosa with species of Amanita, Suillus and Lactarius. For Sci 19:242–250Google Scholar
- Thomas GW, Jackson RM (1979) Sheathing mycorrhizae of nursery grown Picea sitchensis. Trans Br Mycol Soc 73:117–125Google Scholar
- Thomas GW, Jackson RM (1982) Scanning electron microscopy of sheathing mycorrhizas of sitka spruce. Trans Br Mycol Soc 79:31–39Google Scholar