Measurement of the photodissociation coefficient of NO2 in the atmosphere: II, stratospheric measurements
- 368 Downloads
The photodissociation coefficient of NO2, JNO2, has been measured from a balloon platform in the stratosphere. Results from two balloon flights are reported. High Sun values of JNO2 measured were 10.5±0.3 and 10.3±0.3×10-3 s-1 at 24 and 32 km respectively. The decrease in JNO2 at sunset was monitored in both flights. The measurements are found to be in good agreement with calculations of JNO2 using a simplified isotropic multiple scattering computer routine.
Key wordsJNO2 NO2 photolysis atmospheric photochemistry JNO2 measurement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Isaksen, I. S. A., Midtbo, K. H., Sunde, J., and Crutzen, P. J., 1977, A simplified method to include molecular scattering and reflection in calculations of photon fluxes and photodissociation rates, Geophys. Norveg. 31, 11–26.Google Scholar
- JPL, 1982, Chemical kinetic and photochemical data for use in stratospheric modelling: Evaluation Number 5, JPL Publication 82-57, Pasadena, California.Google Scholar
- Luther, F. M. and Gelinas, R. J., 1976, Effects of molecular multiple scattering and surface albedo on atmospheric photodissociation rates. J. Geophys. Res. 81, 1125–1132.Google Scholar
- Luther, F. M., 1980, Annual Report of the Lawerence Livermore National Laboratory to the FAA, UCRL-50042–80, Lawerence Livermore Laboratory, Livermore California.Google Scholar
- Madronich, S., 1982. Measurements of the photodissociation coefficient of NO2 in the stratosphere, PhD Thesis, York University.Google Scholar
- Madronich, S., Hastie, D. R., Ridley, B. A., and Schiff, H. I., 1983, Measurement of the photodissociation coefficient of NO2 in the atmosphere: I. Method and surface measurements, J. Atmos. Chem. 1, 3–25.Google Scholar
- Madronich, S., Hastie, D. R., Ridley, B. A., and Schiff, H. I., 1984, Calculations of the temperature dependence of the NO2 photodissociation coefficient in the atmosphere, J. Atmos. Chem. 1, 151–158.Google Scholar
- Mugnai, A., Petroncelli, P., and Fiocco, G., 1979, Sensitivity of the photodissociation of NO2, NO3, HNO3 and H2O2 on the solar radiation diffused by the ground and by atmospheric particles, J. Atmos. Terr. Phys. 41, 351–359.Google Scholar
- WMO, 1981, The stratosphere 1981: Theory and measurements, WMO Global Ozone Research and Monitoring Project, Report No. 11, May 1981.Google Scholar